More winch speed?

white90

Having the Genuine not a cheap rip off copy of the GP twin 8274 top on the 8274 this opens up the vast array of winch speeds offered

I have just taken delivery of some increased ratio gears and will do a quick pic guide of the install, superb pieces of engineering and great service from Jim/JJ on getting them here.

a starter pic of the gears then I'll do some pics of the install when the rain stops.

post-5-126512249025_thumb.jpg

Twin XP Julian running 12v

job completed in the Rain:( took couple of hours after a couple of bolts were stuck

I will have to replace them tomorrow.

removing the bearing carrier took the most time.

I removed the top housing inserted new gears and refitted

speed is superb the +40 and +60 must be amazing albeit too fast for my needs just now.

Anyway here are some pics

post-5-126521697802_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521699393_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521701228_thumb.jpg

post-5-12652170274_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521704395_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521706106_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521707282_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521710372_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521712692_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521713728_thumb.jpg

post-5-126521714656_thumb.jpg

Bob yet to use but I have no freespool so paying out is now faster.

I have read elsewhere the twin motor winches work better when the higher gear ranges are used.

I have the underdrive so the option to match the winch speed is there.

What ratio gears are you using?

Is it faster under load?.

much faster

under load the wheel speed to winch line speed (single line) was matched on 3.5 diffs & 35" simex, have now gone to the air freespool which im planning on upping the gear ratio again in the near future so might have a set of plus 40's available, have only done 2 events

i was running over voltaged bowmotor 1's + 40 gearing on mine last year and it was amazing, ive since fitted bowmotor 2's again being over voltaged, cant say what its like but im itching to get out and try it.

i do intend on getting a few sets of gears but at around £250 a set its not going to be any time soon :lol:

Twin XP Julian running 12v

job completed in the Rain:( took couple of hours after a couple of bolts were stuck

I will have to replace them tomorrow.

removing the bearing carrier took the most time.

I removed the top housing inserted new gears and refitted

speed is superb the +40 and +60 must be amazing albeit too fast for my needs just now.

Anyway here are some pics

Nice!!! ;)

Lara

To finish I replaced the cap head screws with M6 Stainless set screws as my crappy allen keys ruined a couple, with me not wanting to get the cap heads stuck in the housing I got some Stainless M6s from ebay and fitted those.

Well pleased with the speed increase and eagerly look forward to the first use of the new set up.

Bob yet to use but I have no freespool so paying out is now faster.

I have read elsewhere the twin motor winches work better when the higher gear ranges are used.

I have the underdrive so the option to match the winch speed is there.

What ratio gears are you using?

I am +40. During Howling Wolf I had a few issues with the winch simply not having the power to pull me out the mire at times. I checked the cables, connectors, batteries, switches and uprated everything including alternators to the point where I have gone over the top but still there have been times when I have stalled the winch. Several times we had to double line :( .

So I wondered if the higher gear maybe increased the speed but sapped the power?.

With regard to underdrive, the winch is perfectly timed to turn the Fedimas at the same speed the wheels rotate when in underdrive which ideal when the ground is dry and traction is increased.

what winch motors are you using?

im using Xps & so far havent had to double line atall since fitting the +40s,

It quite happily lifts the front end of my 90 straight up off the ground as was required @ the muddys to reach the punches.

On mine i am using 70mm2 cable throughout for the front winch with 2x pc1500 batterys with 2x 140A alternators charging them

what winch motors are you using?

im using Xps & so far havent had to double line atall since fitting the +40s,

It quite happily lifts the front end of my 90 straight up off the ground as was required @ the muddys to reach the punches.

On mine i am using 70mm2 cable throughout for the front winch with 2x pc1500 batterys with 2x 140A alternators charging them

2x bowmoter, 70mm cable, 3x Optima, 120A + 100A.

I have run +60 (not quite 2 years, I pestered Jim to get them into production) and had no problem whilst winching in I have also got my own turbo speed increase on this at a touch of a button the speed increase when I touch the button is visibly noticeable.

The motors do slow down if I am badly caught up, this is a good thing as it has reduced the amount of winch ropes I break.

I think I would not go more than +40 if I regularly had to winch through deep bog.

I do run 2 large (tractor size) yellow top optimas and a small std size exide gel battery, 2 electrical 12v circuits each with 120 amp alternators these circuits join together with a separate contactor whilst I winch in.

Now when I lower back down a severe slope the speed is a bit too much, I have ripped small trees out of the ground not whilst winching up but the jerk whilst lowering back down. Quite worrying when the tree in question landed on my co driver and I careered back down the slope.

I have wandered if I could run the motors at 6v just for lowering down severe slopes, the switch gear and wiring could be a little interesting though I fear :(