Why does the Workshop manual say....

gazelle

Question from one of the less than practical:

Why does the workshop manual say to disconnect the battery before doing anything; for example changing gearbox oil.

What possible effect could the battery have on changing oils and the like?

Martin

I forgot to do it once when changing my starter motor, realized I should have when I accidentally stuck a spanner between 2 terminals and nearly welded the spanner to the terminals! Do it for electrics or you will diiie!!

You may not be doing something that involves electrics, but you might accidentally short something with a spanner or srewdriver while working, so it's wise to disconnect the battery. It's only a case of undoing a single nut to disconnect the earth, so hardly a lot of extra work, and might save a nasty accident/fire.

Les.

With a TD5 with alarm, immobiliser, LR radio etc is there anything I should know before I disconnect the battery?

yes "open and make sure immob is disengaged" before disconnecting the negative from the battery. I always take the negative off first due to the fact if you come into contact with bodywork there won't be a mild panic as the spanner sticks. :o

Of course it´s sensible, but I disconnect the battery only if I´m doing welding or some electric work to starter or alternator. I think one reason for workshop manual´s statement is a liability issue. If Land Rover has stated so and you neglegted it, they are free from liability if you wake up next morning dead or injured...:rolleyes:

Of course it´s sensible, but I disconnect the battery only if I´m doing welding or some electric work to starter or alternator. I think one reason for workshop manual´s statement is a liability issue. If Land Rover has stated so and you neglegted it, they are free from liability if you wake up next morning dead or injured...:rolleyes:

if you wake up next morning dead

how do you know ???

It's purely so you think better of it and feel a little bit dangerous, and so that high-and-mighty types can pour scorn on the cowboys at Kwik-Fit etc who don't drain all flammable liquids from the vehicle before inflating a tyre.

Les makes a good point re dropping tools etc though.