Compressor and wiring question

Tonk

got the chance of gettin me hands on a clarke compressor, only prob is its a 3 phase motor on it, cant see any specs/rpm on it, the compressor is a clarke se14a180, 180 ltr tank, 150 psi pressure. i need to make it single phase. anyone know the specs of the motor that would be on it? i cant find it on the net anywhere :(

can a 3 phase motor be rewired to single phase? if so would it affect rpm?

shall i go stand in a bucket of water when attempting to wire it up? :unsure:

I'd say no...

...you have to live a bit more and follow Mandy all the way to Italy this summer...

:D

shall i go stand in a bucket of water when attempting to wire it up? :unsure:

180 ltr tank, 150 psi pressure.

I have a compressor with similar spec....tank is only a 150 ltr and it's single phase. However, when I got it the motor needed replacing so I got the 3HP one from Machine Mart. Cost about 80ukp. Might be better than converting 3 phase to single phase (it can be done) but I don't think the motor will be as 'powerful' after that.

HTH

Machine mart do a range to convertors that supply 3 phase from a domestic supply. They're not particularly cheap (it may make more sense to buy a single phase compressor), and obviously without the compressor specs I'm not sure if they do one thats suitable.

HTH

Glue

so am i best rippin the motor off and walkin into machine mart and askin em to match it? or r they a bunch of numpties and i'm better off pickin one that colour codes to the compressor? :D

You can get a 3 phase motor re-wound so it'll run single phase. However it'll be less powerful and for the cost you're better off with one of the machine mart motors.

Alternately find some specs and i'll get a price from the same place as those bearings.

Jon

You can get a 3 phase motor re-wound so it'll run single phase. However it'll be less powerful and for the cost you're better off with one of the machine mart motors.

Alternately find some specs and i'll get a price from the same place as those bearings.

Jon

i'll go rip it off :)

AES Rewinds in Aldershot rewould my mills table drive motor from 3 phase, but said not to do the big 3hp main one as the power would be horrendous.

ie 1/2 bhp 20-30 loss not too much 3hp goes down 20-30 % drops to 2hp

May be worth a call to them.

Other issue is clarke Motors are metric shafts and my mill being old was imperial, more aggro

Nige

i can obviuosly remachine/make adaptor to make the pulley fit wotever motor, might give em a call, ta

or i could just bung any 240 volt motor on there and either watch it come upto pressure in 1.5 milliseconds or just go up in smoke :lol:

you'll also most likely require a capacitor start, capacitor run motor designed for high torque applications

yep, a pair of flux capacitors and a bucket of lithiium crystals.

no - 3 phase wil not run on 1 phase - something do to with the phases providing the magnetic excitation.

As per above - you cannot adapt a 3 ph motor to run on single phase without either a phase converter or by re-winding the motor.

If it's just to run a compressor - it's not worth it! (My 7.5Hp solid state phase converter was about £500 - but it produces very good quality 3 phase, less than 10% THD).

If you just want a compressor - buy a single phase one. At least you can guarantee it will work (which cannot be said for either replacing the motor with a random single phase one or getting it rewound).

If you want in the future to buy a 3 phase mill or lathe perhaps, it might be worth looking at a phase converter.

3 ph machinery is generally cheaper than single phase so you could recover the cost of the inverter in the saving on a mill or lathe.

Si

hmmmm looks like i'll look for a different compressor then, this one was to go in my garage at home and was gonna kind of be free.

all 3 phase machinery that i need/use is already at my works