Halfshafts H/D or ????

What are my options on rear shafts on D90 ? go fo heavy duty (££££££££££££) or can i fit 110 of 130 shafts in my D90. running a locker & 35" silverstones.It's a detroit locker so not as strong as arb so my thinking is H/D shafts would kill the locker !! so would rather break standard shafts @ £15 or £20 a go, but if the 110 shafts where a bit stronger may they would last just a bit longer.

Hi Kev

you will snap after market shafts almost instantly using 35" tyres. i have a hybrid running arb's and BFG 35" mud terrains. original LR shafts are much stronger than aftermarket shafts, and i mean much stronger. email me on garysarienne@worldonline.co.za and i'll give you more details. believe me i've done what you are thinking and it cost me 2 competitions. i look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Kev

you will snap after market shafts almost instantly using 35" tyres. i have a hybrid running arb's and BFG 35" mud terrains. original LR shafts are much stronger than aftermarket shafts, and i mean much stronger.

Well, thats put Quaffie, KAM, Ashcroft, GKN, and Maxidrive in their place hasn't it ?

good of you to point out the junk these guys manufactuer compared to Genuine LR :lol:

Nige

If your D90 is a 300 tdi > ie: a narrow hub type axle then the shafts/driving hubs from a 2004 > rover axled 110" will fit straight in. The long shaft from a disc braked salisbury axle will fit but the short side will be 43mm too short.

Steve

Steve, Does this mean that the late 110 shafts are stronger than the standard 300TDi 90 shafts?

Pete.

Steve, Does this mean that the late 110 shafts are stronger than the standard 300TDi 90 shafts?

Pete.

Yes they will be stronger than standard 90 shafts as they do away with the mushroom flange on the end. That mushroom is usually where they break. nice and easy to remove a broken shaft tho :rolleyes:

Steve

If your D90 is a 300 tdi > ie: a narrow hub type axle then the shafts/driving hubs from a 2004 > rover axled 110" will fit straight in. The long shaft from a disc braked salisbury axle will fit but the short side will be 43mm too short.

Steve

Thought the above answered that :rolleyes:

A 93 disco 'should' have narrow hubs so you'll be ok there, but you will need to have a 24 spline diff in there tho. :)

Steve

A word of caution for you kevrobbins if you snap a shaft with a detroit locker wave goodby to your locker because the sudden release of torque destroys it internally.

There is little difference in strength of LR shafts just because there from a 110/130 means sh#t.

Save your money and buy once and buy right, heavy duty half shafts with a 5 year warranty from Ashcroft (sorry kamdiffs steve)

I have been running ashcroft shafts front and back with detroit truetrac front and detriot locker in the rear since 2000 and never had a problem, and its not for the

want of trying. Fully kitted HT 90 200TDI running 35" simex, weighing in at 2.5 ton.

Well when I had my v8 hybrid I managed to break both rear shafts at the same time with my detroit in. Didnt damage the locker though.

When I bought my 90 with ARB's in, it had H/D shafts front and rear but the rear axle was drum braked so....when I changed it to a disk braked axle I lost the shafts (different splines)and now have just standard shafts but so far these have proved fine(touches wood and prays they will be ok now he said so). :)

Thought the above answered that :rolleyes:

A 93 disco 'should' have narrow hubs so you'll be ok there, but you will need to have a 24 spline diff in there tho. :)

Steve

Thanks steve it is 24 spline so thats ok, just though if i didn't have h/d shafts it would save the locker a bit but it dosen't seam so (ref 90200tdi below ) have herd that detroits are not so strong these days, got mine second hand with only 2 play days under it's belt for about half price so had to have it. Would like to keep it for a bit without smashing it to bits. I was allmost vertical coming out of a ditch with one front wheel airbourn when the shaft went so lessons must be lernt.