look at this!

Cannot be a genuine 90 on a Y suffix registration,unless it's on a personalised reg number.

just done a vehicle enquiry & got

The enquiry is complete

The vehicle details for EWY 883Y are:

Date of Liability 01 10 2008

Date of First Registration 04 01 1983

Year of Manufacture 1983

Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2286CC

CO2 Emissions Not Available

Fuel Type Heavy Oil

Export Marker Not Applicable

Vehicle Status Unlicensed

Vehicle Colour BLUE

Vehicle Type Approval

I beg to differ :P

anorak outing time :lol:

1948: Land Rover is designed by the Wilks Brothers and is manufactured by the Rover Car Company

1948: the Land Rover Series 1 was launched at the Amsterdam motor show

1958: Series II launched

1961: Series IIA began production

1967: Rover becomes part of Leyland Motors Ltd, later British Leyland (BL) as Rover Triumph.

1970: Introduction of the Range Rover

1971: Series III launched.

1975: BL collapses and is nationalised, publication of the Ryder Report recommends that Land Rover be split from Rover and be treated as a separate company within BL and becomes part of the new commercial vehicle division called the Land Rover Leyland Group

1976: One millionth Land Rover leaves the production line.

1978: Land Rover Limited formed as a separate subsidiary of British Leyland[14]

1980: Rover car production ends at Solihull with the transfer of SD1 production to Cowley, Oxford; Solihull is now exclusively for Land Rover manufacture. 5-door Range Rover introduced.

1983: Land Rover 90 (Ninety)/110 (One-Ten)/127 (renamed Defender in 1990) introduced.

Nige

90's didn't apear till mid '84 so first ones would be on a A prefix plate, the first 110's wore Y suffix plates. engine would figure as correct, but not convinced by the reg plate.

Y suffix -- 1 August 1982 – 31 July 1983

A prefix -- 1 August 1983 – 31 July 1984

anyway, it's not mine, so I'm not that bothered if it is incorect, but the eventual buyer will want to know it's all OK.

[Anorak]

Body looks correct for an E reg, push button doors, also the roof vents above the rear door only featured for a couple of years from E onwards. :ph34r:

[/Anorak]

But its a "Y", Aug 1982 to July 1983 :blink:

Mine (early 1988 '90) is an "E" reg, and has contemporary (manky) push-button doors and rear roof vents - I thought the early (and "Y" reg is damn early for a 90 :ph34r: ) had lift up door handles (I suppose these could be a retrofit, as 28 year old doors would have to have had some real lurve to survive intact!

And wasn't the launch of the 90 in June 1984? They put the 110 out first, in March 1983 at Geneva, then the 127 in late summer 1983. If this is genuine, then its one of the first 90s off the line by quite a way <_<

As Danster spotted, the seller also has a 1983 Series III for sale. The details at the top of the page are identical for both trucks.

If he is a newbie to ebay, as he claims, he may have made one of those newbie type mistakes and forgotten to change the details for his second listing.

To me this looks like an innocent mistake, but who knows? We all had to start with zero feedback at one time, so you can't necessarily flame him for that. There's always the opportunity to ask him a question and see his response.....

Ebay can be a good place to buy/sell lemons etc, we all know that, so as always, buyers should be aware.

As Danster spotted, the seller also has a 1983 Series III for sale. The details at the top of the page are identical for both trucks.

If he is a newbie to ebay, as he claims, he may have made one of those newbie type mistakes and forgotten to change the details for his second listing.

To me this looks like an innocent mistake, but who knows? We all had to start with zero feedback at one time, so you can't necessarily flame him for that. There's always the opportunity to ask him a question and see his response.....

Ebay can be a good place to buy/sell lemons etc, we all know that, so as always, buyers should be aware.

Fair point, well made :D ...

... and this is the forum to help sort the lemons from the other yellow citrus fruit :rolleyes:

Might be started from the factory as a 110, and shortened to Ninety wheelbase at some point?

And wasn't the launch of the 90 in June 1984? They put the 110 out first, in March 1983 at Geneva, then the 127 in late summer 1983. If this is genuine, then its one of the first 90s off the line by quite a way <_<

I have an A-reg Ninety coming my way with a build date of April 1984, as confirmed by Heritage Motor Centre in Gaydon. Wasn't registered until June though.

I have no doubt that the suppliers are entirely reputable, but considering the 1000's of blank V5's stolen from DVLA we don't have to worry about buying a ringer then?

The plates have no relation to the V5, only in the affect that your "unique" vehicle VIN number is stamped in them. The actual design of the plate is not a stipulation of the DVLA. You are not buying number/information, you're buying a bit of aluminium with some paint on it.

A V5 is a paper certificate. These are just Identification plates of verious shapes and sizes, used to record usefull information about your vehicle. Hence if you loose your vin "plate" its not a problem to replace as the vin will be hard stamped to a usually large immovable part like the chassis.

I'm probably being too picky and it's all fine, just seems odd that you can buy a replacement VIN plate stamped with whatever you want, especially as chassis's can be replaced with a new unstamped one! You have to provide a V5 to get a replacement number plate made, but not it would seem the VIN which we all check (don't we?) when buying a new vehicle....

I'm probably being too picky and it's all fine, just seems odd that you can buy a replacement VIN plate stamped with whatever you want, especially as chassis's can be replaced with a new unstamped one! You have to provide a V5 to get a replacement number plate made, but not it would seem the VIN which we all check (don't we?) when buying a new vehicle....

Check this out, its quite intresting:

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_630.htm

Also you have to admit that your average joe won't be wanting to replace/get new "VIN" tags, the website in question is quite clearly targeting the restoration/collectables market. Meaning there probably isn't a proper procedure in place by the DVLA to get new VIN tags specially for older vehicles because not enough people need to get them. It could have slipped through the net?

If you wanted to get new Reg plates, and you where determined, you could get them done on the sly not needing any proof of vehicle ownership.

With the case of land rovers its a lot of effort to change your chassis/body VIN tags, and get an Illegal V5 certificate to do what? you usually want it with an MOT too, In which case that will mean the serial number would have been though the DVLA proving its legitimacy...?

If you wanted to get new Reg plates, and you where determined, you could get them done on the sly not needing any proof of vehicle ownership.

No need for slyness, stick on numbers from any car shop!

I think the problem I have is with stolen V5's and a corresponding serial no on a replacement VIN plate. Just seems to be makng it easy for the criminal types!