Out Back Challenge

Bush65

The US Disco in the pics. Is that Jason who'd been pestering P4x4 for ideas for months and been doing mods like fitting sunroofs before reading the regs?

Seems Toyota's rule in Oz

The US Disco in the pics. Is that Jason who'd been pestering P4x4 for ideas for months and been doing mods like fitting sunroofs before reading the regs?

Seems Toyota's rule in Oz

I would say so.

The white bobtail disco, that was in 2 or 3 of the other pics, is another USA entry - Norman and co-driver Keith (revor on pirate). Norman is an expat Aussie though (family live not far from me).

Nissans rule in Oz.

Will,

One thing that you don't need is crazy ideas.

You need big power (200+kW at wheels), a strong drive train, great preparation and big ba!!s.

Last year the speed destroyed the rangies that have been succesfull in the past. The winning nissan was a wreck at the finish - no exhaust system, the body was held onto the chassis with ratchet straps.

To give you some idea of how big ba!!s you need. On one special stage, Adam Bird was driving corners with both inside wheels more than 1/2 metre in the air. At one time he put the nissan on it's side and as it was sliding along, on it's side, steered the front wheel into the ground and flipped it back onto all 4's and continued to the finish without coming to rest.

Will,

One thing that you don't need is crazy ideas.

You need big power (200+kW at wheels), a strong drive train, great preparation and big ba!!s.

Last year the speed destroyed the rangies that have been succesfull in the past. The winning nissan was a wreck at the finish - no exhaust system, the body was held onto the chassis with ratchet straps.

To give you some idea of how big ba!!s you need. On one special stage, Adam Bird was driving corners with both inside wheels more than 1/2 metre in the air. At one time he put the nissan on it's side and as it was sliding along, on it's side, steered the front wheel into the ground and flipped it back onto all 4's and continued to the finish without coming to rest.

Well, by crazy I more mean unusual. Independent suspension could probably be sucessful. The fact our racing scene is very healthy means there are plenty of people who could help with vehicle prep. The idea that appeals to me is squeezing either an LS V8 or a 4.2 supercharged lump into Land Rover's baby; it could be nice and subtle and its a setup that's prooved to be fast. Drivetrain would need some serious work, though.

By the sounds of it poping a winch on a Bowler could be sucessful but I'd like to do something a little differant. :D

Cool :lol:

Where do we sign up :ph34r:

I'll be Honest John, am looking at doing the 8 day extreme this year, NOT the OBC.....

Our cars just ain't got the go' go, and i like a bit more winching ;)

You know much about it????

Be intrested in any info you got

Cheers Mate

Jim :)

Ps: Am i right in thinking that it's the 10th Birthday of the OBC next year????? I know theres quite a few Brit cars talking of going for that........Just got to convince the Girlie :ph34r:

Recon Tonk would be up for a bit of that.

I dunno about custom builds - the guy with the semi-monotone voice who narrates the DVDs is always banging on about significant mods being outside the 'spirit of the competition', and how it's basically standard (ISH) trucks with a winch and a few extras/bolt ons.

I could be wrong, but that's what he says on both the DVDs I have.

Does look like a cracking event though.

Al.

I dunno about custom builds - the guy with the semi-monotone voice who narrates the DVDs is always banging on about significant mods being outside the 'spirit of the competition', and how it's basically standard (ISH) trucks with a winch and a few extras/bolt ons.

I could be wrong, but that's what he says on both the DVDs I have.

Does look like a cracking event though.

Al.

That may have been a few years ago, but from last years its stepped up a few levels - ie lots with all custom suspension with either coilovers or triple bypass shocks or both :o More power - some are now running Supercharged LS1's 290+ rwKW, turbo diesels 220+rwKWs, turbo 6's with 250+rwKW and all $$$

Best seem to have well sorted and bullet proof driveline / suspension, reasonable power and an otherwise simple truck with not much to go wrong.

Also a Light truck - weight is a bit issue.

Tuff event - we will either be spectating or entered next year :P

Dave.

Well, by crazy I more mean unusual. Independent suspension could probably be sucessful. The fact our racing scene is very healthy means there are plenty of people who could help with vehicle prep. The idea that appeals to me is squeezing either an LS V8 or a 4.2 supercharged lump into Land Rover's baby; it could be nice and subtle and its a setup that's prooved to be fast. Drivetrain would need some serious work, though.

By the sounds of it poping a winch on a Bowler could be sucessful but I'd like to do something a little differant. :D

Independednt suspension would just be 6 extra CVs to break. Very strong but simple with lots of spare parts is the best way to go, IMO.

I just don’t think that event will ever be won by a European ……….the oz timed event driving style is just sooooooo different to ours. I’ve been to many Oz events at Jimna (LCMP) and they only drive at two speeds……. flat out and stop :lol: .

Damage has to be seen to be believed :blink: …………… on the ‘dozer pull’ hill climb section I saw one guy rip the transfer box out of a Nissan tray back, another ripped out the rear axle. Their trucks are not softies either ………. some of the Oz builds that I saw were excellent …….. both in strength and quality. These are minor events compared to the outback challenge …………. I can well imagine what they drive like.

Ian

I just don’t think that event will ever be won by a European ……….

Ian

Think you are probaly right.......However,

I think it is possible to get on the podium......

Speaking to the lads that have been and done it, they noted lots of areas that can be improved upon.

Simon and others have beaten the Aussies in the RFC, so they are beatable......

But on there own turf??????? who knows, But i'd love to give it a try :D

I think the UK is more likely to put someone on the podium on the 8 day Extreme rather than the OBC,

More techincal and more winching :D

Right up my street, Just hope i get a chance ;)

Ps: Anyone else thought of going???

I think mr lloyd is going.

What about going to the jungle? I can see the extreme being interesting but not dissimilar from what we are doing. No plans myself to go to oz at the minute.

Martin Lewis did love every minute of it, so there must be something there.

Daan

Think you are probaly right.......However,

I think it is possible to get on the podium......

Speaking to the lads that have been and done it, they noted lots of areas that can be improved upon.

Simon and others have beaten the Aussies in the RFC, so they are beatable......

But on there own turf??????? who knows, But i'd love to give it a try :D

I think the UK is more likely to put someone on the podium on the 8 day Extreme rather than the OBC,

More techincal and more winching :D

Right up my street, Just hope i get a chance ;)

Bob Seaman's doing the extreme this year IIRC. He's been doing a fair bit of work in preparation. I'll be interested to see how they do.

I'd quite like to try the OBC simpley because its differant. In the end, anyone's beatable if you've got the right machinery and you drive well (plus have a bit of luck) although I think any event that far away would be difficult to win especially against locals. If I do build a vehicle for the OBC, though, I'd want to do it properly and I can't see myself having either the time or the money for the next few years to do that.

Looks like both US teams with discos might be out - or have at least suffered major breakages.

Anyone know how the UK teams are going? Is the owner of The Hulk originally from the UK? By all accounts it is doing OK so far.

s5.sized.jpg

It doesn't look like a UK vehicle. Plus, what engine is it running? That intercooler can't belong to a Tdi :ph34r:
I'm following the crew of Graeme and Jeff driving "The Hulk" - A Rangie/Defender hybrid powered by a turbo-charged 4.1 ford donk. If anyone on the ground has Pic's (or general gossip) then I'd be really pleased to see them on this Forum. The boys ran a very credible 3:24 last night - not bad for a brand new rig and a crew with only 1 or 2 hours in the seats !

Looks like they are from Central Queensland.

Looks like both US teams with discos might be out - or have at least suffered major breakages.

Anyone know how the UK teams are going? Is the owner of The Hulk originally from the UK? By all accounts it is doing OK so far.

s5.sized.jpg

I like the labels below the headlights, for telling left from right :lol:

I agree all good reports so far for the hulk.

One of the Ausie teams busted a winch drum/case in a deep mud stage. During the night navigation stage, a NZ team (I think it was the white Nissan with Toyota grill badge) pulled them through all of the winching sections :D

Good report and pics here from navigator of best placed rover (7th).

Other than this rangie, with all nissan driveline and 240+kW at wheels, rovers had a poor event.

The 1st placed nissan had 1968 points, by comparison all rover placings and points were:

7th, 1054 points

23rd, 1054 points

29th, 818 points

39th, 596 points

46th, 331 points

47th, 142 points

48th, 120 points

52nd (last), 0 points