The Hunt for a Waterproof V8

Well done JU ;) ……………….. I will give the parts monkeys a call with the number ………… lets see if they get it right this time ……….. :rolleyes:

The first one they got was very small .......... about 60mm dia ................ the second one was FO large ..... possibly 200/250mm dia with a very small centre hole ............... :angry:

Ian

• 1 month later...

Right calling the V8/EDIS experts....

I'm trying to get my head round something.

HFH's arrangement has both coil packs on the same side. It would be tidier to put one on each side wired directly to the adjacent 4 plugs.

So, each pack contains 2 coils, each of which has 2 outputs that fire at the same time. (1 lost spark)

Can it be arranged so that the lost spark is on the same side of the V8?

If so which cylinder? I assume it has to be on the exhaust stroke.

Any comments?

Right calling the V8/EDIS experts....

I'm trying to get my head round something.

HFH's arrangement has both coil packs on the same side. It would be tidier to put one on each side wired directly to the adjacent 4 plugs.

So, each pack contains 2 coils, each of which has 2 outputs that fire at the same time. (1 lost spark)

Can it be arranged so that the lost spark is on the same side of the V8?

If so which cylinder? I assume it has to be on the exhaust stroke.

Any comments?

Think i've answered my own question.

The complimentary cylinder must be the one 360deg from the firing one.

Therefore on the rover - firing order 1, 8, 4, 3, 6, 5, 7, 2

It has to be 1&6, 8&5, 4&7, 3&2 on a coil.

So no, I dont get my tidy HT wiring :(

Somebody check me?

ahh, had a successful day today. Now running on EDIS.

and what an improvement, dunno if i had a dodgy dizzy/coil but it definitely starts & runs much better - and thats with it still in fallback mode! (fixed 10 btdc)

Next step (phase 2) integrate MegaSquirt.

Phase 3 - Fit the EFi parts that i've been assembling.

Question- theres no problem in removing the dizzy is there? I recall hearing the oil pump is driven from same shaft, that doesnt kill drive to pump does it?

p.s. Anyone want to buy an assembled/tested, but never used MegaJolt?

Yes - you cannot remove the dizzy!!! The oil pump is driven from it as you say!! It maybe possible to cut down a dizzy somehow, but to be honest I just siliconed an old cap on to keep the cr@p out and I carry a cap and leads should I ever need to use em as a "limp home" mode!

jon

Yes - you cannot remove the dizzy!!! The oil pump is driven from it as you say!! It maybe possible to cut down a dizzy somehow, but to be honest I just siliconed an old cap on to keep the cr@p out and I carry a cap and leads should I ever need to use em as a "limp home" mode!

jon

ahh bugger.

I've no wish to use the dizzy anymore - as that was the point of upgrading to a more reliable system. If i carry spare it will be an EDIS & coil pack now.

I just hate leaving something redundant in place. On the other hand it woild be a shame to cut down a working dizzy.

As jon says whats the point of woorying.

Remove leads and glue cap on.

To make a dummt dizzy and have the internals so the oil pump still drives is too much work for no gain

Plus turn up, find the "I know everything" D**K at an off road event and then mention amisfire,

Smile big time when they offer their "Knowledge of F all" and you open the bonnet......and they then spy the dizzy - with no leads....

Classic :hysterical:

Nige

Plus turn up, find the "I know everything" D**K at an off road event and then mention amisfire,

Smile big time when they offer their "Knowledge of F all" and you open the bonnet......and they then spy the dizzy - with no leads....

Brilliant :hysterical:

As jon says whats the point of woorying.

Remove leads and glue cap on.

To make a dummt dizzy and have the internals so the oil pump still drives is too much work for no gain

Classic :hysterical:

Nige

why not change your front end for a serpentine thor cover. then you can do away with the dizzy completely and you get more oil pressure too

why not change your front end for a serpentine thor cover. then you can do away with the dizzy completely and you get more oil pressure too

Serpentine - thor - Please explain, i'm not familiar with that. What were they fitted to? Does it drop on to any V8 block?

The later engine (known as a Thor) with the serpentine auxiliary drive belt has a direct drive crank driven oil pump buried within the front cover ………unfortunately the crank is a different nose length, so retro fitting can often lead to a load of extra work. Also the camshaft fitting at the timing gear end is different.

Ian

The later engine (known as a Thor) with the serpentine auxiliary drive belt has a direct drive crank driven oil pump buried within the front cover ………unfortunately the crank is a different nose length, so retro fitting can often lead to a load of extra work. Also the camshaft fitting at the timing gear end is different.

Ian

Serpentine front end is a poly-v belt which means you can run more power off the belt. It also has a much more efficient oil pump design whcih is why the later engines run with a lower viscosity oil. IMHO the coversino is well worth it if you are rebuilding your engine.

unfortunately the crank does have to have the longer nose which can make things difficult without a new crank. AFAIk the cam shaft fitting is irrelevant as you can take the cog off- i could be very wrong on this having never done it, so you would have to check!