The Hunt for a Waterproof V8

I did 37 teeth, then ground out the 37th, leaves 36 and a space, and it was a !"£$%^&*() pig to do :angry:

Nige :P

Um, just a sec you did a 37-1 :blink:

I just had to go recount all the pictures i've see to check. And yours runs ok?

How many bloody ford transit lumps are there ? I am on the third toothed wheel from the Ford stealers ……….. and its still the wrong one :angry:

When I get the correct wheel ………. I’ll post the part number ……… on the flip side, I suppose it gives the parts monkeys employment ! :D

Ian

Nope didn't happen........................ :angry:

BUT

Spoke (funnily enough) to Mark Adams today and its booked - 1st week august :D

Yeeeeeeeeeeahhaaa bring on the 4x4 rolling rolling road several hundred DBells pf V8ness & loads of BHP and V8 noise B)

...............and my F wallet :(

Yippeetydoodaaday I'll let you know the outcome :huh: other than a thinner wallet :lol:

Nige

I am afriad I was involved in heavy "3 Bear engineering"

ie

1st :

too big :angry:

2nd

centre screwed up :angry::angry:

3rd

Just right (well no not 100% but near a ****ing Nuff :lol: ) :(:unsure:

I did 37 teeth, then ground out the 37th, leaves 36 and a space, and it was a !"£$%^&*() pig to do :angry:

Then to the lathe and a centre weas done, all in all a silly amount of hours. :angry::angry:

Now the real Q is could a 3 phase CNC punch be fitted to a SP supply in a 3 bed semi :D cheaply too :(

Ah well there yer go............. :ph34r:

Nige :P

I just stuck a Ford Transit one on... :ph34r:

Okay, Geoff Greenwood did take the internal diameter out to fit the LR pulley stack, but that was it.

How many bloody ford transit lumps are there ? I am on the third toothed wheel from the Ford stealers ……….. and its still the wrong one :angry:

When I get the correct wheel ………. I’ll post the part number ……… on the flip side, I suppose it gives the parts monkeys employment ! :D

Ian

I wasn't aware there were more than one...

I did have the part number but I've gone and lost it :( Have you tried asking on the Megasquirt EDIS forum? That's were I got it from. Unfortunately they ditch posts after a few months and those ones expired ages ago :(

one i made to J Whites drg had 3 radial slots in it to bolt it to the back of the dampner for adjustment

Can you punch me one too ?

I'm slowly collecting the bits for Megasquirt/EDIS, but I don't plant to fit anything until much later in the year.

No slots ion mine :

I made the ID Tight" then dry mounted the whole assembly, with some blue tack between the pulley and trigger wheel.

Once I had it "Lined up as close as I could guess" squeezd so blue tack stuck, took it off, and drilled right through the existing holes and bolted together.

When it was started up instead of 10 degrees it was at about 14.

Having made the bracket holding the VR sensor with a slot (had to file a tad extra) I could then realign the VR to the wheel until we had 10 spot on, I also had a slot the other way, so can also adjust the "gap" as required.

Oh and then removed the blue tack :huh::lol:

Nige

just out of interest but why is no one thinking of using the THOR setup with the trigger wheel on the flywheel and the sensor pocking through the belhousing. THey aren't too hard to find, they are well protected, work well and a bolt on option.

I've heard a Thor manual flywheel is a rare thing, plus EDIS relies on the Ford 36-1 wheel, unless Thor is the same then you might be able to ditch the EDIS and use the MS with added ignition drivers to decode it, or it might not work (unlikely, it seems to be able to read every ignition setup yet invented and some that haven't been)

Hmmm, anyone got a spare Thor flywheel I can look at?

Do you mean one of these:

trigger_wheel.jpg

Part #1-078-767

That looks like the one :)

You don't actually need to cut slots in it if you take the inner diameter out - it sandwiches nicely between the harmonic damper and pulley stack, with the teeth facing back over the damper. Bluetack is indeed handy for holding it in place while you assemble the pulleys...as far as I can remember it's still in there :P

My range rover is currently laid up with various problems (none of them related to ignition :D), but did several thousand miles with this arrangement and nothing shifted at all.

I've heard a Thor manual flywheel is a rare thing, plus EDIS relies on the Ford 36-1 wheel, unless Thor is the same then you might be able to ditch the EDIS and use the MS with added ignition drivers to decode it, or it might not work (unlikely, it seems to be able to read every ignition setup yet invented and some that haven't been)

Hmmm, anyone got a spare Thor flywheel I can look at?

Sorry meant the THOR auto "flywheel" (whatever the proper name is for the bit that the torque converter bolts to!).

I was under the impression that EDIS relies on any 36-1 wheel not necessarily a Ford one. As long as it gets the signal (is it PIP or SAW i never can remember) it doesn't care where it comes from- there will probably have to be some sort of change to the signal to bring down to the right voltage- but that shouldn't be too hard i reckon!