The Hunt for a Waterproof V8

I first do have to say a few BIG "thankyous" :

Jon White _ wiring and soldering eggspurt :D

Mr Fridge - for bleating and making me go this route at all :P

Bull Bar CowBoy (Ian G) for operating his "Samaritains Help Line" and general helpful knowledge :)

SWMBO for putting up with paper diagrams and oiley bits everywhere in the kitchen :huh:

Bill Shurvington - For some of the parts and general help........................ :)

The problem for me and for many other V8s is that V8s do not like water :

gallery_22_5_85685.jpg

So for a number of months the hunt was on........

1st I toyed with making myy own dizzy with an outer sealed casing - got so far and scrapped that,

then a SAS ex 110 RF cover system, bought but still not good enough,

and after many many routes, INC research into Buick Dizzy (now with R Vogue on this toy :P,

and DUI dizzys along with the HEIs, ......

none of which is really water proof - more water resistant ..............I decided on one route

MEGAJOLT EDIS 8 V8

There was a final and impelling reason for me to fianlly choose this route -

namely that the 4.5 Eales V8 has NO VACUMN just a set at 30 degrees at 4000 rpm and job done.

This makes for a very lumpy tickover as the advance is around 16 degrees - far too much, with MEGAJOLT I also have the option of a 10x10 ignition MAP thereby re-using the vacumn, and being able to reset the ignition at whatever it SHOULD be at 10 x RPM buckets along with 10x Vacumn settings :

So, 1st job was to read read read print read and learn :

The MEGAJOLT Site :

http://picasso.org/mjlj/?q=

Here I learnt as best I could (and with help from Fridge and Jon W) decided to go this route, I have gone this route also as the EFI system is tunable for me, and megasquirt is even more complex, my problem was not carbs / EFI mine was Water and a V8 not mixing :P

You will need.

Trigger wheel 36:1 and gap

EDIS 8 Unit

Megajolt ECU

2x Ford Mondeo or other 4 cylinder coil packs

Make up new (longer leads)

Vacumn pipe

VR sensor and plug (ford)

Beer

mate to do wiring (hello Jon :P )

Mate to cry down the phone to (Hello Fridge)

Beer

Asprin

time

More Beer

A PC running XP serial port so you can connect to the ECU to play with the Ignition MAP

This system also has the attraction, that if it fails, it has a 10 degrees set advance "Limp Home Mode",

or if I reconnect 1 wire to the coil, place a rotor arm and the old dizzy cap and leads back on I still have the old system as a back up unit.

EDIS 8s are not available from the UK, they come off Lincoln V8 town cars, I have bought a few from E-Bay USA, this is not the same as UK and adding "Worldwide" as an option - so go and look here :

http://www.motors.ebay.com/

Trigger words are EDIS8 EDIS 8 Lincoln Ignition Module etc, pay about £25-£30 for EDIS and the plug with wires (you cannot get this plug new or elsewhere !) EDIS 8 on its own even cheaper (my spare)

The trigger wheel I 1st bought a "should do basic model" much machining later it was no good too big.

Ended up making my own, got it slighly wrong (5mm OD too small) but with a spacer ring to move it back it allowed me to have the sensore almost behind the pulley :

gallery_22_5_18416.jpg

gallery_22_5_2866.jpg

The bracket with the sensor has up/down movement and in out movement,

as the VR sensor has to be set at 10 degrees adavnce and around .5 - 1.5mm from wheel,

................nothing 10 hours on a lathe can't sort, ...........oh for a CNC punch.... :(

The EDIS8, shown here wired up and connected, these are arraently also waterpoof, but I have mounted mine high up to be super safe, if this gets under water, then thats the least of my probs !

gallery_22_5_28960.jpg

below are the pics of the FORD coil packs mounted on the rover cover,

.....................I did spend ages deciding where to fit these :

gallery_22_5_106070.jpg

and here with the leads made and fitted -

I will prob remake new leads later, these were a "Quick Job" to see if all worked - these are done by buying cheap long leads, chopping off the coil end, (or dizzy end) then "Undoing" a FORD end (scrappy for loads and loads of leads - some break - some do come apart) then recrimping the ends back on to the new leads, the coil packs are an exellent fit betweem lead and coil,m best waterprrof connector I have vever seen :

gallery_22_5_49168.jpg

gallery_22_5_83463.jpg

And finally the megajolt ECU shoved temporilary loosely in the cubby box :

gallery_22_5_42416.jpg

Getting it all running was a bit of a pain, had to use the bit of a bodge method which has been outlinned by Mr Fridge and geoff B, but it worked, I am pursuing "A better Bodge" and will advise....

When it was all sorted I had a annoying Hic-cupy type misfire, this was fuelling, now I have such a good spark it burning weak - so a good hard tweak of the "More Fuel" on the adjuster on the ECU now sees it run very smoothly (better than before by miles) yet with a 10x10 "Guesstimeated IGN MAP".

next steps are :

1. Finish the snorkel FFS :lol: and quickly !

2. Me, my wallet, Mark Adams, my 90 and a certain 4wd Rolling road :) ..... for real time tweaking

Yes, its a lot of work, yes you have to do a lot of research, but I for one am chuffed to bits and am looking forward to a V8 that doesn't misfire near in or under water B)

Thanks to all again who have helped, much appreacited !, oh and lastly these pics are in LR4x4.com gallery - I lost ALL my pics due to an error on Photobucket.com :angry:

Nige

I was having a think about diesels v v8 the other day actually.

if you want power buy a V8

if you want reliability/"waterproofness" then buy a diesel.

To both you need to spend some money.

it always make me laugh when you hear dieselly peeps talking about how a diesel can have as much power as a V8- of course it can if you spend the money. Much in the same way that you can get a V8 to be reliable and waterproof by spending money.

To me the only questions worth considering are:

1. Which suirts your driving style better? i like to be able to squirt the power in whenever i like so a V8 suits me. if you were careful and sensible then a diesel would win hands down

2. how important is fuel efficiency- i got 20mpg avg from my last V, but if the vehicle is used for commuting then you might as well get a diesel or an lpg conversion

3. Sound/desireability/comfort- V8 all the way for me

other questions are just a function of money/time.

The end with the classic "Me Feets wet" comment always makes me chuckle

Nige

"My seat's wet!" is the sound I hear, but I agree, it raises a smile, especially the tone of voice it's delivered in.

She sounds as if she isn't certain whether the cause is the stream itself, or a personal accident!!

David

Nice job Nige, good to see the Holy Grail has been attained at last :D

Have you tried lobbing a bucket of water at it yet as a test?

I've turned a hose on mine. Pictures don't really do it justice, it got a thorough soaking and still ran perfectly. :D It's been wellied through a shallow ford a few times as well, with no problems, but lack of four wheel drive means it'll be a while before it gets tested properly. :(

Well Done, Nige. I'll be genuinly intersted to see how this works out.

I was having a think about diesels v v8 the other day actually.

if you want power buy a V8

if you want reliability/"waterproofness" then buy a diesel.

To both you need to spend some money.

it always make me laugh when you hear dieselly peeps talking about how a diesel can have as much power as a V8- of course it can if you spend the money. Much in the same way that you can get a V8 to be reliable and waterproof by spending money.

To me the only questions worth considering are:

1. Which suirts your driving style better? i like to be able to squirt the power in whenever i like so a V8 suits me. if you were careful and sensible then a diesel would win hands down

2. how important is fuel efficiency- i got 20mpg avg from my last V, but if the vehicle is used for commuting then you might as well get a diesel or an lpg conversion

3. Sound/desireability/comfort- V8 all the way for me

other questions are just a function of money/time.

All very true. However; if you wan big power/torque from either then its big money time. Personally I prefer the simplicity of a mechanical diesel but its difficult to get the instant point and squirt. I'll be very intersted to see what Nige eventually gets from his V8 when tuned up correctly on a RR. I'm finally going to pull my finger out and get my 2.8 tuned propperly on a RR near me. Maybe we should look at doing a side by side power run at the same rolling road once both engines are running propperly.

Well Heeeelllllo Jon,

I am not going to Bite Mr W :P

Much :)

I won't mention my concern of you doing the wiring, when it took you 2 goes to wire up your own recently fitted 90 heater, and you complained for months how c*ap it was, ahem, till you turned the 2 wires around..... :lol: I think you mentioned this was the 50/50 school of wiring technique ?

Nor will I make comment about how your truck seems to have got a "Gay Boy" Pink panel painted on it :huh: .....Dear :unsure:

Nige :ph34r:

PS I HAVE PICS :D Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :D

Trev have you got any pics of you Tonk Stringy and Jules playing in the water that time at Bunny Lane? :D

Tracy captured that on vid is didn't she? Will see if I have a copy.

Getting it all running was a bit of a pain, had to use the bit of a bodge method which has been outlinned by Mr Fridge and geoff B, but it worked, I am pursuing "A better Bodge" and will advise....

Nige

ROTFLMAO :lol:

The better bodge is currently being evaluated .............. 2 techs and 2 design engineers and a systems integration engineer have been working on it all day ............ oh, and a project manager who thought that it was much better than work .................... I think these bu**ers have planned the rest of the week around it as well ! :blink: …………… mind you the project manager looked happy when I asked him for a Gantt chart and critical path …… :lol:

And the really amusing thing????

Mr Barker has NO CLUE as to how/why this system works........

rotfl.......

Jon

Ah, but he will, when we write the 'Janet & John' book of 'HFH automotive electronics' ;)

Ian

Tracy captured that on vid is didn't she? Will see if I have a copy.

You mean something like this

90wetdrop.jpg

Ok I will admit when I got to the others side of this 50m long 1.5m deep mud run she was only running on about six..