Fiddle Sticks...thats blown it. First Weld Required

so just propped up my chassis to remove a spring and i've mad a hole. See Pic.

Its not bad, its just damn annoying. At least i found a weak bit.

The question of the day...

will this fail an MOT ?

and

do i just get it patched up ?

post-19188-127472223912_thumb.jpg

Time to have a bash around with the hammer Neill. They always get bigger when you go to repair them. If you investigate a bit and make sure everything else is sound then repair it. If other things need doing (like the crossmember) the repair of that section can be incorporated into that job.

the cross member is new, just this part of the extension seems shot. The crossmember was one without extensions and i'm not sure one with the full extensions would have got to this part of the chassis anyhow, its way along next to the anti roll bar mounts.

i'm back at being a newbie...

will this fail an MOT ?

If its within 300mm of a body or suspension attachment point, yes

do i just get it patched up ?

If you can find some good metal to weld to, yes <_< . However, as reb78 sayeth, go forth with LR tool No.1 and seek out the tin worm, or trouble my ensue Mwa ha ha ... sorry.

Thanks. 300mm is almost all of a landrover. :o

Looks like i need a welder,,,,buy one, or use a man????

hmmmm....i can weld (no really i can) but only ever used a gas mig system and thats not cheap. Looks like a need a man and some plate.

i still have my 9 DIN weld glass from my visor when i was 16yo.... :P

used two of those to watch the last eclipse. I might need some 13 now, i'm a bit older.

My 90 has a similar, albeit larger, hole in the bottom of the chassis rail. My garage has quoted me £30 to fix it, so rather than faff around trying to weld it upside down I will let them have the pleasure!

300mm is near enough a foot in English measures, so I wouldn't say it was almost all of it :P

Good luck getting it fixed.

thanks guys.

looks like some weld is required. Going to clean it up myself and then get it welded to my specification. Just need to buy a angle grinder and then get some plate. Rather tell them what to do than leave it up to their judgement. Perfection assured. :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to another forum member i've just welded this up this afternoon. Many Thanks to him. :D :D :D

My welding wasn't too bad considering its 23 years since i did it and i was upside down. :P

My rear output flange is still leaking though, so not quite MOT time. :angry:

Christ :ph34r:

Sorry, but thats awfull, its more "Stuck" together than welded up properly

I would seriously suggest that things like chassis are welded properly

and thats not- I would seriously suggest getting it re done - properly

I have thought long as to if post this or not, but at the end of the day a Chassis

is a key safety area, so I have, I will now don my flame suit :ph34r:

Nige

The member who helped me was satisfied the penetration was good. The rig was set correcty for 3mm plate and I ran about 6 inch of test weld on the bench before I did this to practice on some 3mm. The only issue was the weld running a bit which is difficult to avoid. I was relying on him to let me know and he was happy with it albeit the weld did run.

Its not pretty but it passed the hammer test on the first run. Now i'm no expert but it looked reasonable to me, not great, but good enough for both of us. Hybrid has me worried, and me doubting us both !

This is more an observation rather than any type of criticism.

I do a bit steel inspection for work and structural related design.

To properly repair any corrosion damage you need to remove the bad stuff and put an insert of steel into the gap and weld it up. this will allow the integrity of the structural member to be maintained.

I find if very difficult sometime's seeing patch repairs especially to motor vehicles - as a patch just usually covers up the badness - ironically this usually satisfies an MOT tester (whom probably have limited knowledge in structural steel repair admittedly..) A patch repair on steel contributes a negligible amount to the parents structures integrity.

Although the hole you found would not pass an MOT by inspection, "practically" it probably has little or no effect to the overall stability of the chassis unless the corrosion covers a lot larger area. off course as its exposed - it will just get worse.

A few intresting pictures attached.

post-20087-127728674846_thumb.jpg

post-20087-127728676837_thumb.jpg

post-20087-127728678328_thumb.jpg

post-20087-1277286800_thumb.jpg

post-20087-127728681662_thumb.jpg

post-20087-127728683375_thumb.jpg

Neil,

Honestly, if the welder unit was set up right then its the welder human that

f it up, pretty, no it isn't, but neither is it a decent repair.

The weld is sat on the metal as a blob - thats either too low current and / or

too high wire speed, the weld line is all over the place, and the penetration poor

and probably non existant in places. Whilst everyone needs to start somewhere and learn

to weld Bodged chassis repairs is not a sane place to start. Whilst it is only a small area affected

I would suggest it redone, both fom a safety and longer chassis life points a view

The old metal should also be cut out and new plate of suitable size welding in properly and not

from a friendly passing pigeon, don't take to heart thats this repair is in anyway "OK"

Nige