What is this roof? Anybody seen it?

Disty

So i used to drive past one of the military suppliers in Stirling called DSG, and they had tons of these defenders with new one peice roofs. I think they were putting them on at the time. They look amazing!

Has anybody seen these or know anything about them? Who's making them and what's the spec?

Have attached a picture i found on google after an hour of searching!

It's a standard wolf roof. I doubt very much you'll be able to get hold of one. We managed to get a damaged one for our 110" and it was a small fortune. My honest opinion - they are C$*P!. They're made of some sort of plastic Tut or possibly fibre glass they're flimsy and break very easily.

Steve

Really? Wolf? I've seen so many "wolf" pictures that don't look like that.. maybe it's just the newer one. Ah so they're not even good.. i thought they might even have an internal roll cage in- they look so beefy!

Thanks for clearing that up!

They're not just "wolf" roof's I remember back in 96 I worked with 27/48th squadron RAF regiment, they had got them fitted to all the HQ/command vehicles. I think they're a bit of a devolution for landrover's really. what can you do with them? difficult to fit roof rack... etc etc.

I belive they were plastic for balistic reasons.

I find that suprising, they're very light fibre glass construction, anything hitting the vehicle that is substantial enough or fast enough to cause problems with the standard aluminium skin is going to go through it like a knife through butter. I suspect that it was a combination of lighter weight than a standard hardtop, less drafty than a soft top and greater internal volume than either. Plus looking at the way they are built they're probably fecking cheap to make!

less drafty than a soft top and greater internal volume than either.

:rofl: You should try taking our 110" for a drive! the roof flaps around like a wh*r*s panties in soho and the internal cage cuts off the cabin completely and causes nothing but pain when you crack your elbow on it or smack your cranium! Maybe thats why they always where those helmets!

I find that suprising, they're very light fibre glass construction, anything hitting the vehicle that is substantial enough or fast enough to cause problems with the standard aluminium skin is going to go through it like a knife through butter. I suspect that it was a combination of lighter weight than a standard hardtop, less drafty than a soft top and greater internal volume than either. Plus looking at the way they are built they're probably fecking cheap to make!

I would guess that it's not so much for protection as for the effects of an impact., though the difference between a flying lump of Ali and a lump of fibre glass is probably minimal.

This upgrade was for no other reason then to keep the Health and Safety pen pushers happy. There is a new project to replace the current defender/ wolf fleet, and the current Renault boden/pinz fleet, but this has been delayed and even more delayed since 2003.

The wolf 90s are apperrently being returned to Ricardos to be upgraded to 110's using the turkish suppled otoka chassis. The current 24 odd year old 110/defender fleet were then upgraded (as seen above) to merely prolong their life, and to provide a safety roll over passenger "safe cell". This is not designed to protect the vehicle just the passengers. The existing wolf fibreglass wolf is merely the easiest way to do this.

• 7 years later...

The roof is made by broadwater mouldings ltd. It's fiberglass with a couple of stainless steel brackets in it. Any cracks or blisters get filled with p38 filler, rubbed back and sprayed by a can back to green. Lol

i know this as I used to work there and do these 😆

• 5 years later...
On 1/9/2018 at 5:13 PM, Laminate said:

The roof is made by broadwater mouldings ltd. It's fiberglass with a couple of stainless steel brackets in it. Any cracks or blisters get filled with p38 filler, rubbed back and sprayed by a can back to green. Lol

i know this as I used to work there and do these 😆

Hello mate . Any idea what  was used to glue the two fixing rails into inside bottom ? I’m in process of swapping two over and need to re glue rails into one of the tops .. cheers