Hub lock nut size

Hi just stripped the hub down again to do the hub seal as its leaking and couldnt get the lock nut off as I must have put it on too tight last time! I was improvising as I havent got a socket or box spanner big enough does anyone know the size required? :blink:

Measuring my hub nut spanner the ID is 52mm from face to face. Does that help?

Chris

James get a box spanner for these from http://shop.difflock.com/land-rover-spanner-plain-p-33.html or your nearest LR independent part supplier.

Thanks.

Just got one coming from ebay found 52mm spanners for £28-32.00!!!! :lol:

And then searched for 52mm Hub Box Spanner and got one for that exact purpose for £5.99 ;)

Here's a quick one for you-If you weld a flat plate onto the end of the box spanner leaving the holes either side of the box spanner for you to put a bar through to loosen the lock nut's, you can then weld an old 1/2 inch socket on it to be able to use a torque wrench to get the correct tightness as I have done with mine at home

Work's a treat too

HTH

John

Quick hijack on topic here, does anyone know when the defenders went accross from the usual arrangement on front bearings, ie can be done with hub nut spanner and a screwdriver through it to tighten bearing in, onto the current one where its torqued up with the shims?

I have to do my front brakes shortly and dont fancy buying a new socket to do it cause i am not entirely sure on whether i have old or new method. Its a 2003 td5 90 csw.

Many thanks all

I believe they changed to the spacer/shim arrangement for the Td5 vehicles wasn't it? Microcat lists the coloured spacers from VIN XA 159807.

You can revert to the earlier (and much simpler) setup quite easily, just need to get some locknuts, a keyed thrust washer, and a tab washer, for each side I think :)