defender tyre fitment

Morning folks

right i am in need of some new tyres on my 300tdi 130 and am looking at some secondhand wheel and tyre packages. I currently run silver mods with 265/75r16 tyres fitted.

I seem to be able to find lots of sensibly priced packages of 235/85r16 now as i understand it they are 30mm narrower than my current tyres? and 10mm taller in the aspect ratio?

so my questions are is the above corrrect?

will 235/85 fit a defender ok?

will disco alloy rims fit my defender axles ok?

if i do fit slightly taller tyres will it affect the gearing drastically? what will i need to do to make the speedo read right?

many thanks

Matt

Hi Matt. I run 235/ 85's on my 110 on Discovery steel wheels. I've not had any problems.

I'm packing the car as it gets shipped tomorrow.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for that, did they affect the speedo reading at all? would i neeed to change anything. Good luck with the packing!

The difference between 235/85/R16 and 265/75/R16 will not be enough to need to fiddle with the speedo gears I shouldn't think. Disco steel rims are 7" wide, which is perfect for 235s, don't know what width Disco alloys are. I would have thought they'd be the same.

Bear in mind that Discovery alloy wheels may not be rated for the axle weights of a 130.

235/85R16 is a standard size for a Defender. Based on nominal dimensions, 235/85 are 2mm larger in diameter than 265/75 - nothing in comparison to the 31.6" (~800mm) diameter. There will be more variation between tyre types than between these two sizes.

I'd be looking to ensure any replacement wheels/tyre are suited to the rated axle weights of the vehicle. Disco alloys may not be adequate for a 130.

right i am in need of some new tyres on my 300tdi 130 and am looking at some secondhand wheel and tyre packages. I currently run silver mods with 265/75r16 tyres fitted.

I seem to be able to find lots of sensibly priced packages of 235/85r16 now as i understand it they are 30mm narrower than my current tyres? and 10mm taller in the aspect ratio?

so my questions are is the above corrrect?

you're slightly wrong here....

265/75, means that the the tyre wall is 75% of 265mm tall

and the second 235/85 has a wall 85% of 235.

using : http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator.htm (as it's easier than firing up excel lol)

Your tyres are pretty much the same diameter (2mm different !) Just one is narrower than the other.

Hope that helps

Gordon

Edit : must type faster ! :lol:

Edited by zim

I just got 3 sets of tyres in for me and a couple of mates and the sizing varies enormously between tyre makes. I got 235/85/16 and 265/75/16 special tracks and the height difference (as peviously mentioned)was negligable. But compare the 265/75/16 special tracks with the BFGM2's (same branded size) and the difference was huge. The BFG's were roughly 2" shorter in height.

Im guessing this is because the Specials are made on a remould carcass (therefore extra rubber added) whereas the BFG are new?

I'd be looking to ensure any replacement wheels/tyre are suited to the rated axle weights of the vehicle. Disco alloys may not be adequate for a 130.

that was going to be my next question! how can i find out what the rims are rated at? I know the ryres are fine as they are BFG Muds that i currently run.

The rims i am looking at are genuine LR boost alloys

235/85R16 is a standard size for a Defender. Based on nominal dimensions, 235/85 are 2mm larger in diameter than 265/75 - nothing in comparison to the 31.6" (~800mm) diameter. There will be more variation between tyre types than between these two sizes.

• 2 weeks later...