Recovery Rope

Jon W

I am in the market for a new recovery rope. Dad managed to trash the last one by towing a car on road and letting it drag. Last time I had a 4m rope and a 2m bridle from David Bowyer. This seemed to do the job well as had a bit of stetch to it but was not a kinetic.

Any recommendations on where to buy from. Seen quite a few on ebay. I couldn't find much info on david bowyers site.

Cheers

Jon

if you intend to use it on the road, any towrope or towbar must be no longer than 4.5metres or 15feet & ought to be clearly marked in the centre with a warning flag or contrasting coloured area, preferbly red or orange.

this one on DB's webshop is a good choice GOODWINCH 'HEAVY DUTY TOW ROPES' - 4.5m x 24mm 3 strand 8 Tonne

for off road use a 8m version or strap is worth having on board.

Well I went for a 5m rope in the end. which states 'Min break load of the rope is 12,000kgs before splicing'. So will see what that holds upto. I have various tree strops but prefer rope with a bit of give for towing people out.

Jon

I keep hearing rumours that towing with a rope on the road except for emergencies is illegal, does anyone know for sure on this?

From here :

"When the vehicles are attached solely by a rope or chain, the maximum distance allowed between the vehicles is 4.5 metres.

If the distance between the two vehicles exceeds 1.5 metres then the rope or chain must be made clearly visible within a reasonable distance from either side to other road users. This is usually done by tying a coloured flapping cloth in the middle of the rope or chain.

The person in the broken down vehicle must be a qualified driver as he is actually driving the vehicle. A further point is that if it is dark then the broken down vehicle must have its lights on as it would under normal circumstances."

Note: Vehicles are only to be towed on motorways, for the minimum distance necessary, to reach a place of safety where recovery may be effected by a recovery vehicle.

Yes straps are tested but also a lot are meant for lifting and hence have no give in them. Making recoveries very jerky and hence I should think more damaging to a vehicle, hence why never using chains for recovery.

Yer Arbil recovery stop might give the best of both worlds. But then theirs seme to be either a tree strop or a kinetic recover strop. And I am not a fan of kinetic recoveries, as you know the strength of your own tow point but new so sure of the other person who you are helping out.

Jon

Pretty sure a shock load will make the other's tow point give in more easily than when using a kinetic strap.

Personally, for off-road I have an ARB 8t kinetic strap, but only for light conditions (pull to get out of a rut for example). When properly stuck use a winch.

I'm not sure what exactly the OP wants. A recovery strap or a tree/tow strap?

Slightly OT, if your towing on the road make sure your licenced to tow! the new drivers rule limits them to 750kg, thats not just trailers but anything :o Was talking to a friend who is a trafffic cop the other day and they had a inncedent recently where one young lad was towing his mates broken down car and got pulled. He haddn't taken a trailer test and was done for towing without a licence :blink:

Worth remembering for our younger members?

Brookers

Nice to see people still use a rope that hasn't been tested.

Hi Mike,

Most towing/recovery ropes don't come with a test certificate. This is partly because they are not intended for lifting, which is a heavily regulated industry and requires cerificates for all equipment. Towing and recovery ropes are often given a breaking strain or a safe working load at the point of sale, without the issuing of a certificate. This in itself is not a problem as there are standard materials, sizing and method of construction used for ropes. It is easy to look at a standard rope chart to tell the strength or suitability of a rope. Typically, a standard 24mm nylon rope has a breaking strain of 12 to 14 tons. Once you splice a couple of eyes on the end, it is perfectly acceptable for companies selling these ready made recovery ropes to sell them as 12 ton (12,000kg) breaking strain ropes. There is a useful chart at the bottom of this page:

http://www.smackdock.co.uk/rope.htm

Hope this helps, and hope you have a good trip by the way.

Regards,

Diff

Well, the OP has got his rope now but I like using an 8m KERR, gently offroad and doubled over to 4m on the road. The 'kinetic' bit is only as dangerous as you make it IMHO. It doesn't suddenly pull with the force of a thousand oxen when you do up the shackle, but it is able to stretch and absorb a great deal of energy. If you don't stretch it, it's as gentle as any other strap, and if you were using a completely static strap or chain, a hefty snatch will do a lot more damage. On the road, I find it gives a smoother ride for your stricken motorist and less chance of a rusty Fiesta's tow point coming through my back window - so long as he doesn't catch up with you and then stand on the brakes as you pull away!

@turbocharger: I agree that a KERR is a more comfortable tow, but an 8m rope doubled over is quite an expensive thing to drag along the tarmac every time the car behind catches up...

In that case the driver at the back doesn't have a clue how to be towed. The tow rope should never be allowed to become slack.