Hoisting Engine

need4speed

Im almost ready to hoist my RV8 into my chassis. Im wondering if its safe to lift the engine by putting the rope underneath the inlet manifold and hoisting it with the crane.

For some reason i cant find my lifting eyes that bolt to the block and was wondering if the inlet manifold (with all bolts in place) would be strong enough. Its just the engine you understand - not engine and g/box...

Phil

Either find / make / buy some lifting eyes or lift with a strop under the engine. You'll probably pull the top apart if you try it your way.

I would recommend using the lifting eyes as the engine will sit at a better angle for fitting.

If I was stuck for lifting eyes I would pass rope through the exhaust manifolds and around the engine mounts or under the sump. The lowest point of the rope would be tied together so it doesn't slip off either end of the sump.

I wouldn't lift on the inlet manifold myself just for the agrevation of possibly causing it to move, bend or leak.

I think it would hold, but I wouldn't do it just in case. For another thing hanging it by the very top will make it much harder to tilt the engine to get it to fit.

I'd have suggested a rope down throught the exhaust manifold to the engine mounts too, but as you say, no manifolds.

I'd go for 2 bits of steel strip drilled and bolted to the head in place of the lifting eyes.

No manifolds does make it harder.

If you can fabricate lifting eyes to the right standard, probably worthwhile and easier. (Is cost that prohibitive ? Can you not scavenge some from a breakers yard ?)

Other than that, straps right under engine and looped through the engine mounts if possible. Remember to support front and rear.. Last thing you want is an engine flipping over on you !!

Neil