Re-chassis question........

A simple one really, i'm gonna swap my knackered old chassis for a nice new shiney galv one, once i've told dvla that i've changed it, assuming they have no issues with it, what happens to the old chassis.... can i keep it?? but it'd just have no identity..???

It should be destroyed, it is unusable on any other vehicle in part or in whole. If it's far gone enough to warrant a new one then it's not going to be much use anyway!

I cut mine up and scrapped it, took photos of the process too just in case DVLA/VOSA/whoever want proof in the future.

So i take it that it wouldn;t ever be re-useable as part of another vehicle then..??? even if that vehicle was once complete given a Q plate..............

Seems a shame to have to destroy it, as i'm sure that whilst i think it's knackered, to someone it would be salvagable and repairable.........

So i take it that it wouldn;t ever be re-useable as part of another vehicle then..??? even if that vehicle was once complete given a Q plate..............

Seems a shame to have to destroy it, as i'm sure that whilst i think it's knackered, to someone it would be salvagable and repairable.........

OK yes it could be used on another vehicle, which would then get a Q plate, but it seems a lot of hassle for that person just to enable them to use a rusty old chassis, even if it was repaired.

Perhaps the best way of putting it is: "Yes it could be re-used, but the easiest and arguably best thing is just to destroy it".

All you'd get for it is scrap value, so you might as well do that :)

You could first cut off the front section containing the chassis number, and keep it for your own record. Im thinking of stamping a metal plate with my original chassis number, and them bonding it onto my galv chassis.

You could first cut off the front section containing the chassis number, and keep it for your own record. Im thinking of stamping a metal plate with my original chassis number, and them bonding it onto my galv chassis.

IIRC DVLA/VOSA will require the original VIN to be stamped into the new like for like chassis, just keep the original chassis number with the vehicles docs.

I dont want to stamp into the galv incase it goes through. I thought that by stamping a metal plate I could then bond it to the galv chassis. Obviously my galv chassis doesnt have a number on it, not that it matters to me.

A simple one really, i'm gonna swap my knackered old chassis for a nice new shiney galv one, once i've told dvla that i've changed it, assuming they have no issues with it, what happens to the old chassis.... can i keep it?? but it'd just have no identity..???

Chop it up, weigh it in. ;)

I have a new chassis that I'm painting atm. Its not stamped. To be honest this thread nearly made my black trousers turn a little brown, but I phoned the local mot place they said its fine not stamped but bring the paperwork. Sweet...

It really depends how bad it is, the one I pulled out of the 110 was fine with a few hours of welding and was then galvanized by the new owner and fitted. The one on the 90 I'm working on now was fine from the crossmember to the rear hangers but the rest is more rust than steel so the only bit getting recovered is the newish crossmember to repair another chassis in the future.

Keeping whatever bits are still solid makes sense though if you plan on building something in the future, or sell it to someone who might need those bits, you won't get much but it's just wrong for an old landie not to donate parts to a new build when it can. :)