G Clamps

Steve Warman

On a recent job to change the steering drop arm ball joint I managed to twist the body of a heavy duty 4" g clamp from axminster.

I'm not saying they're badly built as you can imagine how much the cups were pretty much welded into place and how much force was needed to get them out.

Can anyone suggest a good make of clamp to replace mine?

I might even go for another axminster one but I'm keen to have them twist out of shape again.

I've got a cheapy couple from Homebase or B&Q. Yet to deform it yet, and was cheap enough that I'm not particularly bothered if I do. Always used the Silver Axminster ones at my old school, seemed ok and didnt break any.

Might be worth a trip to the local Car boot sale? find some nice big (or small) old clamps :)

How much do you want to spend? I personally favour Carver Clamps, but they aren't cheap:

T186-12.jpg

I like the look of those!!

I've got a cheapy couple from Homebase or B&Q. Yet to deform it yet, and was cheap enough that I'm not particularly bothered if I do. Always used the Silver Axminster ones at my old school, seemed ok and didnt break any.

Might be worth a trip to the local Car boot sale? find some nice big (or small) old clamps :)

I have a smaller silver one from axminster but thought I'd go heavy duty for the larger one.

You're right, not too cut up that it's deformed but I think to replace it i might look to paying a bit more for a decent one

I think a B&Q one would have bent like chocolate if some of their stuff is to be used as a guide.

carver clamps are used in the fabrication industry,not cheap they they last and do not deform when used to clamp materials for welding,as g clamps tend to,personally if you buy g clamps from b+q and expect them to last tnen you will be disapointed,they are the b*itpa*t of the tool world.

The carver clamps are fantastic-although as said, expensive.

For stuff thats not heavy duty the generic quick clamps are mighty handy-purely for the fact you can do them one handed and flip them round to use as spreaders aswell.

I wouldnt mess around with b and q. last time i looked the stuff was all silly prices and soft as butter. I seem to remember some really cheap ones shattered when they were dropped which was worrying.

Try and get some old ones second hand-as said car boots are a great place for them.

If you did want the buy some, the record ones are very good and reasonably priced

I've tried a few types of "quick clamp" and broken them all, shame as they are really useful to have around :(

For those that can't afford Carver clamps (they do look great but...) these are what I have:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/Clamps/G+Clamp+100+mm/d10/sd10/p91355

No name, but do the trick. Been dropped a lot and havent shattered, and hold stuff together whilst welding no problems. Doubt you could tighten it enough to bend the frame if you were just using your hands.

I know, cheap, but they do the job a G clamp should so I've got no complaints, and I have change in my pocket for beer/play days etc :)

I've tried a few types of "quick clamp" and broken them all, shame as they are really useful to have around :(

For those that can't afford Carver clamps (they do look great but...) these are what I have:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand+Tools/Clamps/G+Clamp+100+mm/d10/sd10/p91355

No name, but do the trick. Been dropped a lot and havent shattered, and hold stuff together whilst welding no problems. Doubt you could tighten it enough to bend the frame if you were just using your hands.

I know, cheap, but they do the job a G clamp should so I've got no complaints, and I have change in my pocket for beer/play days etc :)

Record used to be the best ;) but things change!