Best diesel to stick into a 110SW

Andrew

I've known Fridge (JU) for many years. He's a clever bloke - very clever. He's alos reliable, helpfull and many other good traits.

But he has a problem. He has limited vision in the sillyness department - it was mostly used up building that somewhat impractical steed he drives.

The thought of a 200+ bhp BMW oil burner in a 110 has given me feelings I thought had gone now I am no longer needed to provide ingredients for prodgeny.

If you have 8K to spend AND it has been signed off by The Long Haired General; then do it. Ignore any advice as to practicality and sensible spending. Just do it. Then send me the pictures...

I know if I win the big win tomorrow or Saturday night, I'm taking a trip to see Jezzer. Diesel Power - there is no power as pure

I have to say that I agree with the clever Hobbit. The diesel may not have the instant omph of your 3.9, but it's going push your eyeballs through the back of your head in the mid range. Do the wise thing and spend the money, you know the 110 is a keeper, so look at it like a way of upgrading to a new car, without changing the actual car.

Then post pictures so that we can copy you....

Don't worry - I'm pretty much decided this is the way to go and even have vague approval from the management ;-) JF is busy with putting the same engine into a Pinzgauer until the New Year, so it'll be a few months yet but I promise photos and video when it's done. I'm also looking forward to next summer with the Lightweight, fully stripped down of back body, doors, windows and windscreen folded flat, with the 3.9 burbling away - I can feel a pretty minimalist exhaust going in there.... ;-)

Further to Fridge's comment above, although I now have a couple of 6.5 V8 Chevies and have learnt to love them, I have to say that I wouldn't put one in a Landrover. The best US diesel I've driven is actually the Izusu 7.3 in the Ford F series...

FWIW the 7.3l Powerstroke in the Ford was an International V8 diesel, not Isuzu. GM puts the Isuzu diesels in their trucks now because the 6.2/6.5 was so problematic. The 7.3 was a pretty good engine, it originally started out as the 6.9l in ~1978:

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0703dp_international_diesel_engine/index.html

Nice engine but ther is no practical way to put one in a LR.

FWIW the 7.3l Powerstroke in the Ford was an International V8 diesel, not Isuzu. GM puts the Isuzu diesels in their trucks now because the 6.2/6.5 was so problematic. The 7.3 was a pretty good engine, it originally started out as the 6.9l in ~1978:

http://www.dieselpow...gine/index.html

Nice engine but ther is no practical way to put one in a LR.

Perhaps the 7.3 from an F truck wont fit in a Land Rover, but the Duramax engine from a Chevy will - a South Aus member on aulro.com has fitted one into a 110 Defender link to build thread here

gaz69-albums-gaz69-picture47-lbz-allison.jpg

gaz69-albums-gaz69-picture1148-duramax.jpg

I'd second this, with the addition of "neither do the yanks" :ph34r:

*cough* Cummins *cough* Those 6BT's are just plain awesome! If only they could be sent on a diet :unsure:

There's only one engine I would consider stuffing in a 110 and that's Toyota's 1HD-FT, the 24valve straight6 4.2 Td. Plenty of power/torque and very reliable.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to pull up this thread ,but it isnt that old. A cummins 6bt onto a zf 5 42 is the perfect match, done loads of them pulls like £$$£ dead reliable and the same consumption as a tdi. There is some pics of mine and a irish chaps conversions on landrover addict forum.

I'm happy to jump back in at this point, as finding a decent engine to put into a Landrover is one of my pet favourite subjects.

Matt is right the 7.3 Powerstroke is of course an International engine, not of Isuzu origin, I was muddling it up with the Duramax. And it is a tight fit and heavy in an F350, so you can forget putting it in a Landrover.

I have to second Toyroverlander's view on the 1HD-FT (24 valve motor from the later 80 series Landcruiser) as I have run these engines at nearly 400hp / 525lb/ft in marine applications and can honestly say they are awesome. But then I think that i'd want the nice Toyota axles, sensible Toyota interior, and really I should just buy a Landcruiser....

The 6BT is a good engine, well regarded and well supported, but it weighs over 500kg and isn't exactly compact. I'd love to see the build threads on how to squeaze that into a Landrover, as there's a guy on the Chevy HD forum who had to do some work to fit one into a 7 ton chevy :o

Here's two 390hp Landcruiser engines fitted to something way less sensible than a Landrover:

post-5209-037778200 1293178255_thumb.jpg

post-5209-043927200 1293178482_thumb.jpg

The 6BT is a good engine, well regarded and well supported, but it weighs over 500kg and isn't exactly compact. I'd love to see the build threads on how to squeaze that into a Landrover, as there's a guy on the Chevy HD forum who had to do some work to fit one into a 7 ton chevy :o

Few posts for you

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=23202

http://picasaweb.google.com/gmookher/CliffhangerDay2InclPreRunVendorFairAndMoabRimDay3#5253957848128968498

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=708183

this thread has upset me, I love my 200Tdi and am proud to have it in my Land Rover. You guys are mean sad0049.gif

;)

Don't worry old lad, I also love my 200Tdi (my fifth now) and as I don't have £8k I won't be going down Andrew's potential route. If I was to ask The Wife if I could spend £8k on my Land Rover, I would be eating hospital food for months...

Anyway the 200Tdi is one of the best sub 3.0ltr diesels ever made. I'm in the process of building up a spare one, which when built will go in the 110. This will be a Disco/Defender hybrid lump and will be special - not quick just sweet

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

West4x4 posted: "Big 3.5 mazda turbo you can get conversion kits to fit the v8 mounts and gearbox mate has one in his 110 its fast and still fast towing a 101. The Japs know how to do good big diesels"

I hate to pi$$ on your parade, but the Mazda 3.5 was designed by Perkins .....

• 3 years later...

I'm doing the m57 conversion. Total cost should be in the £1000> £1500 region.

Engine plus ecu's £450

Rallyaid harness £300

Paul can remove the BMW security for extra, and give the 184bhp 6 220 ish. So you get double the overall power of the 200tdi.

I love my 200tdi, and it's quicker than most. But laden up for overlanding it just doesn't cut it.

The big old diesels are just the same. And I'm not putting Toyota running gear on my Landrover, that's far more work than this conversion, and they have their own weaknesses.