Running in a re-built 300Tdi Engine

Hi All

I am after a bit of advice on running my newly remanufactured engine in......it has been done top to bottom by a well know engine remanufacturer and fitted with a reconditioned fuel pump, new injectors, new turbo etc etc . Only thing is I have heard conflicting advice on the best method for running it in:

- Load the truck up and take it for a 500 - 1000 mile drive so that the engine has to work a bit rather than doing the same trip with just empty truck..so that the rings bed in.

- Run it around town and clock up the miles that way.

- OR put a tractor on my trailer and tow it for a 750 miles or so....

Which method (if any) would you advice to give me the best long term engine reliability?

Sorry if I appear a bit green on this...this is the first new engine I have EVER had!

Rob

Hi All

I am after a bit of advice on running my newly remanufactured engine in......it has been done top to bottom by a well know engine remanufacturer and fitted with a reconditioned fuel pump, new injectors, new turbo etc etc . Only thing is I have heard conflicting advice on the best method for running it in:

- Load the truck up and take it for a 500 - 1000 mile drive so that the engine has to work a bit rather than doing the same trip with just empty truck..so that the rings bed in.

- Run it around town and clock up the miles that way.

- OR put a tractor on my trailer and tow it for a 750 miles or so....

Which method (if any) would you advice to give me the best long term engine reliability?

Sorry if I appear a bit green on this...this is the first new engine I have EVER had!

Rob

i would of thought that putting it under load so early would cause damage not help it bed in but i dont know i would prob do 500 empty truck 500 full but not sure just my view

You can buy a "running in oil" we used to remachine british sports car engines ( jags healeys mg"s ect) Anyhow we had a particular garage who used very high spec oils from the word go, And suffered from smokey,poor performing engines, we converted him to running in oil for the first 500 miles and no problem since, Worth a thought

I am just a bit worried about polishing my bores!!

Rob

Just don't let it idle for long periods of time, also try not to hold one speed for long (engine speed). Ramp the load on and off, so going up and down hills is a good idea. I would start with low loads (empty truck) but after a couple of hundred miles start to up the load. once the oil consumption of the engine has reduced (will use a bit to start with while bedding rings etc.) it is a good time to start putting full load on, i.e. full pedal accelerations and climbing hills with weight.

Basically as people have said above, just be 'kind' to it to start with but don't be afraid to load the engine, light loads will cause the most polishing!

Assuming the bores are properly plateau honed and new rings are fitted, I'd go for it and use it fairly hard unless it feels very tight. See link. And use a running in oil or something similar, rather than a full synthetic, and change it after max 500 miles.

Nigel

A very interesting link you posted Nigel, and it does tie in with a few other sites I found with regard to newer engines, but I'm guessing it depends on the grade to which the refurbished engine bores where honed to.