Selling my Landrover

GBMUD

What to replace my 110 with  

17 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get to replace my 110

• Nissan Terrano2 with blue paint
    • Nissan Terrano2 with blue paint and a bull-bar
    • Nissan Terrano2 with blue paint, a bull-bar and a towbar
    • Nissan Terrano2 with blue paint, a bull-bar, a towbar and a reliable engine

Just read this whole thread in one sitting, except your last big long post Chris cause I got lazy but I think I got the jist of it - still undecided right?

Strikes me that everyone said exactly the same thing about every car proffered. Good when it works, **** when it doesn't - which is often and a person I'm not that keen on on the wallet.

Two other things stand out -

1. No one really said anything about Toyota, I assume cause of the historical rivalry, maybe because of market value? But surely there's something in their offering that's better than a poxy Terrano.

2. Anyone who did say 'went wrong often / person I'm not that keen on to repair' never specifically said what the common problems were which would lead me to assume there are many. (I worked with some horsey people who towed daily with 2.5 & 2.8 Pajeros and 3.0 Troopers. Iirc a trooper was replaced with a brand new LS model which promptly did something catastrophic to it's gearbox which was replaced under warranty.

In defense of anything LR that is Td5 powered we all know there are two maybe three common problems.

1. is the oily wiring and that is only on earlier models and tiddle easy/cheap to fix (before anyone says anything, yes I have experienced it and replaced successfully). I'm not, nor have I ever been a mechanic.

2. is the fuel reg. Mine leaks on and off. Not happy about my clean engine having a mucky streak but I'll get to it when I could be bothered. I.E. who gives a rats ass unless it's making a difference to the performance which I've only heard a few people complain about. In the meantime it's not a biggie and there are two ways of fixing. New O-rings for pennies and a little elbow grease OR a new reg. for not that much in the grand scheme of things.

3. Could be a toss up between the dual mass flywheel and that plastic head gasket location problem. I consider neither of these to be REAL common problems as there are 5 Td5's, covering both early and late cars, in my wider family and none have presented either problem.

So, basically a Td5 Disco or Defender that goes wrong will probably cost you less than £200 to put right, less if you're doing the work yourself which - lets not forget tends to be much easier with LR's than a lot of those other makes. The only really expensive parts on a Td5 imho are the turbo and the fuel pump. Neither, given due care, are known for going wrong any earlier than their commendable life expectancy.

RE rust... wont you have the same problem with any car. My RRC was a UK car for it's first 33 years and it worked for a living... chassis is immaculate.

Also, we had Freelanders in the fam in times gone. WIll say this: way better offroad than expected. Well documented that the K series was overworked and hence problematic. From new, ours leaked(read water from windows/roof and fluids from engine)

There's a P38 DHSE in the fam. Uncle paid over the odds for it cause it's immaculate, then had JJ Fearn or someone 'known' like that remap it. Stunning car for the money. No troubles.

**** this turned into a long one.

In defense of anything LR that is Td5 powered we all know there are two maybe three common problems.

1. is the oily wiring and that is only on earlier models and tiddle easy/cheap to fix (before anyone says anything, yes I have experienced it and replaced successfully). I'm not, nor have I ever been a mechanic.

Not just early ones ,,, Sure Chris had been their before, on a 04 TD5

2. is the fuel reg. Mine leaks on and off. Not happy about my clean engine having a mucky streak but I'll get to it when I could be bothered. I.E. who gives a rats ass unless it's making a difference to the performance which I've only heard a few people complain about. In the meantime it's not a biggie and there are two ways of fixing. New O-rings for pennies and a little elbow grease OR a new reg. for not that much in the grand scheme of things.

A mot failer if leaking,, done 3 since the new year already

3. Could be a toss up between the dual mass flywheel and that plastic head gasket location problem. I consider neither of these to be REAL common problems as there are 5 Td5's, covering both early and late cars, in my wider family and none have presented either problem.

Surpricing how many DMF's are now being replaced , now getting to be a expensive problem, certainly if replace with another DMF

The only really expensive parts on a Td5 imho are the turbo and the fuel pump. Neither, given due care, are known for going wrong any earlier than their commendable life expectancy.

IIRC Chris has also had to do the fuel pump ??

Not just early ones ,,, Sure Chris had been their before, on a 04 TD5

IIRC Chris has also had to do the fuel pump ??

Correct. My 110 is an '04 with 108k miles and has had the fuel pump, pressure regulator and injector wiring harness changed. Other than that it has been very reliable. It is just not comfortable on long trips - or perhaps I just want a change?

David, thanks for the link but I think the 110 you mention misses most of my goals... :)

Chris

What parts of your 110 don't you like Chris? Just thinking if it might be possible to modify it to fit your needs, and therefore stick to a vehicle you know.

If it can't be made to be what you want (ie. you can't live with the comfort level offered or what not) then fair enough, I drove a Ford Ranger the other day at college and was quite impressed. Not too keen on the looks myself, but that's a personal thing really.

What parts of your 110 don't you like Chris? Just thinking if it might be possible to modify it to fit your needs, and therefore stick to a vehicle you know.

All parts of the 110 are fine in general, I just want something more refined - comfier, quieter, better heating (A/C?), elbow room, economy... you get the picture. I know that I could address most of those points in one way or another but I also don't like the fact that the Landrover sits on the drive depreciating while it gets relatively little use.

I currently use my T5 camper in preference to the LR as it is more comfortable, so I could retire the van to more occasional use (and camping!) and use a car-like 4x4 day to day and have pocket money left over from the LR to stick into the mortgage or do something sensible like buy a motorbike...

This morning has brought news of a Freelander which may be within budget and ticks most of my boxes...

Chris

i found a freelander to be way too small inside. It really is quite cramped in there if you are not a smallish person. Boot space is a joke and rear seats are very small. For long journeys with lots of gear i would think it wouldnt be the best choice.

i also found the td4 slow and gutless. I would imagine towing with one would be a chore.

Ended up almost getting another td5 disco, as it really does tick all the boxes - but at the last moment took a drive in an xtrail and fell in love. You'll be very very lucky to get one for £2.5k though and the 2.2dci is the engine to have, not the early 2.2 as thats sloooow.

not noticed, but i dont think you have mentioned the toyota surf yet. Why not? Good solid motors and will cope with greenlaning etc and are very reliable.

like this one: -

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-HILUX-SURF-3-0-SSRX-3RD-GEN-96-4X4-/220747993834?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item33659b12ea

second gen surf with the 3.0TD is a useful cruiser as well.

not noticed, but i dont think you have mentioned the toyota surf yet. Why not? Good solid motors and will cope with greenlaning etc and are very reliable.

I cannot fault your logic but:

Most Jap double-cab pick-ups are out of contention based on looks alone. A Ford Ranger 4x4 might be worth consideration though i know little about them and I have always had a 'thing' for Hi-Luxes - but not the imported 'Surf's.

I will look some more at X-Trails...

Chris

Putting my neck on the block here but have you considered a Ford Explorer on LPG? :ph34r:

I had one for a while, bloody comfortable, quicker than a Range Rover and would pull your house down.

AFAIK they are all auto, have 'lecy everything, air con and most have leather.

Only common fault I'm aware of is the cam chain tensioner can get noisy if the oil changes aren't carried out religiously.

Replace the standard tyres and they will even cope with moderate laneing.

Don't even consider one without LPG, mine didn't have and had a worse drink habit than I do

Waiting for a slating, Mick.

have you considered a Ford Explorer on LPG? :ph34r:

You are not the first to suggest an Exploder. I would have to get used to the look of them but in principal it might be worth a look - especially if the figures stack up...

Chris

• 1 month later...

Just a short update on this topic.

I decided that I could not get a good enough (new/reliable enough) car within the budget I had set - the proposed use was starting to creep towards needing it to be the main family car - so I had a bit of a re-think. My wife has been going on for a year or two about liking Freelander2s, and to be fair to her, she works very hard and deserves a treat. To that end we have found more money and looked hard for a well priced used Freelander2. A couple of weeks ago, following help from a good friend in the trade, I travelled to Yorkshire and bought an 09/59 Black Freelander Td4e S.

So, look out for a 2004 110 SW for sale any day. Soon...

Of course, I now need to find something that I can drive down a greenlane without having an anxiety attack about the paintwork....

Chris

All parts of the 110 are fine in general, I just want something more refined - comfier, quieter, better heating (A/C?), elbow room, economy... you get the picture. I know that I could address most of those points in one way or another but I also don't like the fact that the Landrover sits on the drive depreciating while it gets relatively little use.

I currently use my T5 camper in preference to the LR as it is more comfortable, so I could retire the van to more occasional use (and camping!) and use a car-like 4x4 day to day and have pocket money left over from the LR to stick into the mortgage or do something sensible like buy a motorbike...

This morning has brought news of a Freelander which may be within budget and ticks most of my boxes...

Chris

freelander 2 in morocco! fair play

Just a short update on this topic.

. A couple of weeks ago, following help from a good friend in the trade, I travelled to Yorkshire and bought an 09/59 Black Freelander Td4e S.

Chris

:ph34r: Good shout Chris,, will see how good it is by the month end :D

Of course, I now need to find something that I can drive down a greenlane without having an anxiety attack about the paintwork....

Chris

i see visions of a £500 vitara sitting on your drive shortly. Cant beat them for a cheap as chips greenlaner, expecially hte 1.6 16v as its quite a peppy little engine.

i see visions of a £500 vitara sitting on your drive shortly. Cant beat them for a cheap as chips greenlaner, expecially hte 1.6 16v as its quite a peppy little engine.

I am trying to resist. I knew for a couple of cheap 90 Tdis but they seem to have been sold. :( A Vitara, or even a Jimny, Shogun Pinin or some such would seem to fit the bill if bought at the right price.. A 90 could tow if needed though and is more infinitely mend-able.

I guess I will wait and see if fate delivers an opportunity - it often does. In the meantime, I need to shift a 110 and a (rare, rust free) Eunos Roadster to make room!

Chris

• 4 weeks later...