ABS braking distance

sax player

Hello all. Havnt had the car for a week (d2 es td5) and have had an accident. Going down a single track road only about 20 mph, vehicle approaching hit the brakes, one wheel locks up because mud / ice on the verge, ABS comes on and the car doesnt stop in time. If it had not come on there was plenty of stopping distance My question is can we adjust the sensitivity off the ABS.

shaun

Not as far as I am aware though I have seen the same issue as that - ABS is especially poor at stopping vehicles on loose gravel road surfaces as it skitters over the surface rather than locking wheels and digging in. The D2 ABS is a lot better than the D1 ABS which was awful for doing this.

The only benifit of abs is that it still allows you to steer out of trouble if you have room too that is. Just what is said above, I think..

And if the wheels lock as on ice and fail to regain grip the you will go into a locked brakes slid similar to a non abs equipped vehicle, the wheels have turn for the abs to function so for example going down/sliding down a slippery slope faster than the tyres can get a grip the wheels will stay locked, Ooooops :)

"The only benefit of abs is that it still allows you to steer out of trouble if you have room too that is. Just what is said above, I think.."

Brake disc and pads are better at kinetic to heat than just tyres and road. So if you lock the brakes the disk/pad is no longer creating heat. ABS pulsing should in theory allow you to be closer to the sweet spot of braking which is just before the wheel lock but is still spinning and therefore in normal/good road conditions a brake slam stop with abs should be slightly better than without.

As mentioned ABS with slippy stuff sucks.

Two points.

If you buy new with a view to getting the latest version, make sure you are getting the latest version if you buy from a non-LR Dealership. You may well do so, as the independent will just buy one in from LR, but it isn't the price you are after, it's the latest version, and I think you need to be as close to the source as possible.

To the OP, I don't mean to be rude, but if you haven't done so already it is time well spent if you STUDY the sections in the handbook that covers driving on unsurfaced roads, and the use of the ABS. As the others intimate, it's a known problem area, so keep yourself up to date with the latest official advice as this will be given with due regard to the design developments that have taken place.

It's also a good justification for giving yourself a LR Driving Experience session as a Christmas present!

Good Luck.

The latest SLABS ecu is better in this situation I think,and the TC works better.Its SRD500070 from memory,was about £180 now over £250 +vat I think.

Excuse the drift off topic, but is the difference between all the SLABS ecus simply firmware or have there been hardware changes to them also?

Excuse the drift off topic, but is the difference between all the SLABS ecus simply firmware or have there been hardware changes to them also?

I would guess both,I have replaced quite a few of them because of either complete failure or inability to read the wheel speed sensors.The new ones have all worked without issue.Its when I've been "Testing" the system that I have noticed how they seem better - but it is only my opinion.LR were a bit crafty when they brought out that latest part number,they must have had a big pile of the old ones and would only supply the new one if you quoted the new number,which was not known by dealers for some time.