Insane "values" of Defenderthingies

Rich_P

I bought a clappe dout 300tdi 90 a fe wyears back for minimal wedge, spent probably around another 10k on it, and have what I consider the best car I could own. It does everything I need, the only let down being I wish it had some more seats :D

I have upgraded it with a view to making it last, so added items that make it better to live with and more importantly last for years, like the galv chassis. Smart investments will hopefully keep it's value up.

I like your post JJB :-). But I think for every well looked after Landy there must be 10 that are used and abused!

why thanks you sir. And you are, of course, entirely correct. Many are bought to be worked hard on the farm or the play and pay site. But even these are reasonably well maintained compared to say, next doors 2000 reg Rover 25 which is probably worth about £250 now

Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay. If you consider what price some people place on a canvas with what can only be described as tasteless blobs of paint on or objects that were once owned by some body who did no more than have a few hit records then a defender could be considered excellent value for money. My problem with it is I would like to replace my disco with a 110 csw but can find one at a cheap price and this bad weather is just making the situation worse for those that like their Landies all year round.

Anyone who bought them simply for bad weather will quickly realize how much work they are and sell them off during the summer :)

I wanted to spend £4k on a 110 CSW 300Tdi and looked for about 6 months before I realised that I a good solid one was out of that price bracket. Took me another 6 months to find a good one that I got for £6k in summertime.

It takes time to wade through the carp to find one that's worth its price, because invariably the perceived inflated price leads others to overprice the POS ones.

No kidding, I got burned... twice. Next time I'm coming over in person and using the classifieds and other farmer-tech methods to search. Even the one that 'looked' good at first, when I got it home and cleaned it up I found the middle of the chassis was nearly missing (and that was after driving it 1500km) and the rear axle housing was corroded beyond re-use.