I want to build an exhaust manifold

rusty_wingnut

For my lightly hotted up 2ltr S1 engine, I wish to build a new exhaust manifold to improve the performance a bit. The engine already has a few little tweeks which have helped but the exhaust ports and manifold are very restrictive and none of the branches an equal length. I know folk will say fit a V8/tdi etc but I wish to retain the original engine but give it some almost "period mods" to make it go a bit better, mainly I am aiming to have enough grunt to pull 7.50s and OD.

I have no problem designing the manifold and have read about calculating the length of the primaries based on exhaust opening and engine rpm. I am going to go for a simple 4-1 manifold and link into a modified down pipe.

I am struggling to source small bore tubing to make it out of though! Realistically due to waterways the exhaust ports can only be opened up to 30mm. Can anyone suggest a source for pipework in that bore size that I can bend on a decent quality pipe bender?

Cheers

I get all mine from a local exhaust fab company, ive got about 4 meters of 35mm stainless sitting on the rack at the moment, shame your not closer otherwise i would have sold you some of that.

Try ebay, theres plenty of exhuast components on there aswell.

Rich

Can anyone suggest a source for pipework in that bore size that I can bend on a decent quality pipe bender?

Cheers

Pipe benders for thin wall tube tend to be very very expensive mandrel benders. You could try sand bending if the diameters are smallish if you have access to oxy acetylene but there is masses of skill involved in this

Try Elmdon Metals for tube http://www.elmdonmetals.co.uk/

I am going to go for a simple 4-1 manifold and link into a modified down pipe.

Why 4 into 1? Normally this will produce more top end power than low to midrange, is this the characteristic you want? Plus making the collector can be more problematic

Rather than sand fill it with molten lead to prevent collapsing, following the relevant safety procedures of course and when its cooled you can bend it as if it was a solid bar, then with a blow lamp run the lead back out.

You dont use lead the metal used for this melts at the same tempature as the boiling point of water and has very little in the way of adhesion .I cant spell it but is seracast serabend

I doubt if you will ever get enough from it to pull 750's on overdrive though.

you'd be suprised, with comp pistons and a new cam it will pull 7.50s happily enough, even pull away it second, just needs a few extra bhp to make OD work comfortably.

thanks for the advice, chaps, I am making final adjustments to the CAD model to try and equal out the primaries as much as possible.

Cheers

Cerrobend, I'm not being smart but I was interested enough in what you were talking about to go looking for it. Sounds a damn sight simpler than sand.

I use it for making low volume press tools as you can use a master/original panel to cast off, just made a batch of parts for a porsche 356 using this method

• 4 months later...

well I took DirtyDiesel's advice and bought a selection of elbows and pipe, fabricated some 6mm flanges and went for the 4-2-1 design.

I spent a whole weekend cutting and welding pipe and elbows and the result is a manifold with 2 seperate flat mating faces that haven't twisted, with both 1&2 and 3&4 linking into each other and then into a big collector to link into a 2a downpipe.And it worked! The engine runs cooler on the back cylinders now and holds its power for longer. It also noticeably quicker on pickup.

oh go on then :lol:

29032011071.jpg

The packaging of the engine is tricky as underneath the exhaust manifold is the exhaust rockers, and you need to be able to get the cover off still, ideally witohut removing the manifold. I have just about managed it but you have to be really careful with the cork gasket.

02042011072.jpg

I know the welding isn't perfect but it is suprisingly hard wleding round things :huh:

It was painted with Frosts manifold paint (only one type listed in their catalogue. It has peeled off some of the galv where I haven't 'keyed' it particularly well but I'm not fussed.

Thanks for the comments chaps, I didn't hold much hope of it working tbh, just making the flanges took long enough - holesawing through 6mm steel isn't easy, but I'm lucky the old man has one of those really old quality pillar drills. I'm just pleased it works and we managed to keep it all straight throughout the welding process.

The only thing I forgot was a bung for the lambda sensor for the Meqasquirting :lol: