How likely is breaking a half shaft ?

Likelihood of breakage also increases with the amount of spare parts you load the thing down with.

Exactly, a 110 loaded with every possible spare will have no room for any actual kit, weigh about 5000kg and travel precisely nowhere before giving up in a wheezing mess of two of everything...

Tell me about it.....We are traveling light as we always do. I'm the type that goes for three weeks away with hand luggage (under 10kg)

I need to go to a weigh bridge a couple of times in the near future.

I wouldn't bother in all honesty.

If you are using a standard-ish truck you will most likely be fine. See my sig for my spec, and even on 10 spline axles and an ARB I have yet to break one.

Must try harder I guess!

clothes, food, two ring burner, some water, few maps a GPS and netbook. The visa paperwork weights more than myclothes !

I get the feeling people take the kitchen sink. I went to scotland camping for two weeks with a pen knife, sleeping bag and a plastic sheet !

Anyhow the vehicle will not be over its max weight so (unless i'm an idiot off road) i should be OK with no spare halfshafts. At least thats what i'm thinking you all mean.

You might want to check the existing ones for wear and damage, if you have not done so.

The splines on the rear of my 110 gave out with no warning ( and no maintenance :ph34r: )

My 90 is 22 years old and I do not doubt it is on the original shafts, but all the seals leak and the splines are well lubricated.

The splines were all checked when i replaced all the wheel bearings and they all looked OK to me. Theres the normal amount of play in the drive train (if there is such a thing). This was about 2000 miles ago. Thanks, you're correct though i should probably take another look at some point especially at the lubrication situation.

For what it's worth, I once had a clueless RRC drive coast to a stop outside my house, with a puzzled look on his face, as a rear shaft and flange had worn the splines down to the point where they lost drive. When they failed, they did so without a bang or crunch, and gently let go, confusing him a great deal indeed!

The RRC was old and battered, and the owner confused that it didn't get serviced, let alone inspected. I dread to think what condition the 3.5L was in.......

The splines on mine were still sharp on the corners so that to me is a good sign that they have been looked after. The diffs are full of oil and the wheel end was lubed up with enough grease to last a kebab shop a year. So i hope i'm good to go...time and distance will tell. I might squirt some more grease in each hub before i go.

Is there a re-grease interval for the wheel bearings and drive flange area?

With international couriers being so quick you may be better off just finding a friendly parts supplier/indepedent garage who will ship parts out to you if you need them.

Unless you are really out in the sticks UPS/DHL/Fed Ex will catch up with you in a few days anyway. On a long trip a few days down-time is not really a problem.

Unfortunately they do have a habit of going when you least need them to, especially if you plan on throwing a heavy vehicle at a few dunes.

As above though, if a shaft goes, it's possible to get going again in 2wd and you can, source locally or have a spare shipped out by UK /friend.

I'm don't think i'm going to be throwing it at any dunes.:D

The vehicle is my home and it needs to last 2 years. I will have fun but i don't think it will be of that kind. Reserved adventure is what i will call it.;)

I've never bust a shaft yet in 10 years of trialling a 300tdi 90 with the original 24 spline shafts.

I have knackered 2 diffs though... one through ingress of mud past a seal and one that broke the pin and the gears fell out (that diff had 150k miles on it). But you do not want to take a diff with you as a spare. They are heavy!

If it looks and feels good, then leave it alone.