Space saving wheels (Yuk)

leeds

Was asked to go help a dum young blonde in distress who had a puncture. :P

Got there, found the spare space saving wheel and a poor excuse of a jack. Loosen wheel nuts off, jack the car up and did it wooble. Remove all wheel nuts and wheel not coming off. Tried pulling on it and car woobling on the errr 'jack' Got 2 foot tyre lever out to try gently levering it off. No chance. OK out comes LR tool No 1. Gently tried tapping wheel to see if it would come off. Nope. Am I missing an anti theft device on wheel or something?

OK, lets try a quick pnone call to the garage. Oh yes they are difficult to get off at times Try persuading it off.

A few blows with 2lb lump hammer finally broke the rust seal holding wheel on to drum.

Wheel then changed for this 'spare spacer saving wheel'

Go to put punctured wheel back in boot but guess what??

Yep it doesnt fit where space saver wheel goes.

Good job boot was empty

So some NOT very SMART ideas from Mr Mercedes.

Another good reason to stick to LR and proper spare wheels/jacks/and tool no 1

Regards

Leeds

Speaking in their favour, if they'd made the wheel well big enough for a full size tyre, they might as well have provided a full size tyre. Well done for providing car-jacking services though. I found my girlfriend looked rather bemused when I suggested using a high-lift on her Hyundai to replace the wobbly scissorjack.

Guest diesel_jim
I trust the dumb blonde was eager to reward you for your chivalrous behaviour? :D

Yes, i concur..... also, pictures (of the dumb blonde) are needed.... B)

A few blows with 2lb lump hammer finally broke the rust seal holding wheel on to drum.

Wheel then changed for this 'spare spacer saving wheel'

Go to put punctured wheel back in boot but guess what??

Yep it doesnt fit where space saver wheel goes.

Good job boot was empty

So some NOT very SMART ideas from Mr Mercedes.

Another good reason to stick to LR and proper spare wheels/jacks/and tool no 1

Alloys suffer from being seized on to wheel hubs on Discovery/Freelander because of corrosion on the hub. And the Discovery 3 comes with a space saver spare (I think the idea is to improve the ground clearance from bugger all to not very much under the back :D ) though I think most are supplied with full size spare wheels, so LR are not immune :)

I had that on my volvo - allow wheel stuck on fast. Eventually had to go to garage where they put it on trolley jack, then with both arms on the tyre, gave it a good pulling/pushing session that would certailnly have toppled the car off any manuufacturer supplied puny scissor jack.

I though nowadys they supplie a can of tyre weld and no spare?

The now recommended (by experience) method of loosening alloy wheels that have corroded onto the hub is to release each nut by about one turn, then drive down the road or driveway for a short distance.

Use with discretion, but it's a lot easier than throwing a hammer at a piece of bouncy rubber.

The now recommended (by experience) method of loosening alloy wheels that have corroded onto the hub is to release each nut by about one turn, then drive down the road or driveway for a short distance.

Use with discretion, but it's a lot easier than throwing a hammer at a piece of bouncy rubber.

I tried that, drive on the drive, slam brakes on, did it make any difference?

re: hammer and tyre, you only do that once B)

Yep I can confirm from first hand experience that getting them off can be a bind....

Worst case was 2 of us spending about 45 minutes with a 14lb sledgehammer blocks of wood crowbars etc etc trying to get a front wheel off an early Freelander belonging to the company, when somebody had a puncture. It was funny at the time cos it was only 5 min from work and it was a nice day ... less so if dark P*ing with rain in the middle of nowhere. Never tried driving on a wheel to loosen it but I would if it happened again. Lots of WD40 or copper grease now used whenever wheels are off :)

My wife has a new style mini. It does not have a space-saver, instead has run-flat tyres.

You might be thinking that space savers are poor - but if you get a puncture with the run-flats, it totals the tyre in about 30 sec then shags the rim!

Result - £several hundred for a puncture!

Space savers do not seem so bad all of a sudden!

Si

My wife has a new style mini. It does not have a space-saver, instead has run-flat tyres.

You might be thinking that space savers are poor - but if you get a puncture with the run-flats, it totals the tyre in about 30 sec then shags the rim!

Result - £several hundred for a puncture!

What's the point of a run-flat tyre that doesn't then? Or am I missing something? :unsure:

Hi,

it´s been said that the proper wheel didn´t fit where the spare wheel is usually stored.

Hey, he had a hammer with him - would have been child´s play to make good the factory´s fault and enlarge the boot for the lady so that she could store the real-size wheel.

:D

QUOTE(Miserableolgit @ Jun 28 2006, 10:43 AM) *

I trust the dumb blonde was eager to reward you for your chivalrous behaviour? biggrin.gif

Yes, i concur..... also, pictures (of the dumb blonde) are needed.... cool.gif

The dumb blonde showed her gratitude in her normal amicable fashion :P

If anything else a feisty redhead might have had a few words to say :P

Regards

Leeds