Your views/reccomendations

Re the Wolf spare wheel mounted on the side, I'm pretty sure that they're fitted with a different, longer, door mirror to get round the visabiity problem. I think I've seen some for sale somewhere together with the mount. I stand to be corrected.....

I've been working in the Falklands, and over there everybody carries the spare lashed to the roof rack.. saves wear and tear on hinges etc on the rough roads, but can be fun getting them up and down by yourself!

Rick

Moved the spare to the bonnet as the weight of it on the rear door meant that the door kept shutting on me when I was reaching something out of the load area! No problems with forward view - you quickly get used to it and drive accordingly. I find that lifting the spare onto the bonnet is easier than the rear door as you can lift it in steps, resting it on the bumper on the way up!

Re the Wolf spare wheel mounted on the side, I'm pretty sure that they're fitted with a different, longer, door mirror to get round the visabiity problem. I think I've seen some for sale somewhere together with the mount. I stand to be corrected.....

I've been working in the Falklands, and over there everybody carries the spare lashed to the roof rack.. saves wear and tear on hinges etc on the rough roads, but can be fun getting them up and down by yourself!

Rick

the longer mirror arms were used on the big LDV Sherpa vans too.

Ok, still not got round to putting the wheel back on the bonnet for pics, but I juts got board and drew it in 3D instead, gives you a bit of an impression.

I think I'm going to give it a go, it may be not quite right for these wheel/tyre combo, but I'll consider down sizing my tyres a little big next time, to balance things out.

post-20087-0-21536300-1297943724_thumb.jpg

post-20087-0-57809800-1297943742_thumb.jpg

I think the choice will depend largely on how and where you intend to use you vehicle.

I had a 265/75x16 spare on the bonnet of my 88", and I'll agree that it does obstruct you vision. But how close in front of you do you need to see? Hopefully you are driving a sensible distance from the car in front, so you should have no problem seeing that. Off-roading, and manoeuvering in tight spots (parking) it can make things a little harder.

If I was always opening the back door and having trouble with it swinging against me I think I might stick it on the bonnet, but absolutely no way would I put inside - just too much loss of space. As for roof mounting options... well it's heavy enough getting onto the back door, never mind any higher! But then again, how often do you need to use your spare?

My current 90 has the original rear door mounted spare. When I bought it it carried a 7.50 on a steel LR rim, later a 265/75x16, and now 255/85x16 on modulars. The 255s do prevent the door opening a full 90 degrees, but the door is still intact.

I've owned the truck 16 years, have replaced the hinge balls a couple of times, and straightened the door (and repaired the frame cracks) after I backed into a tree off roading, but other than that the OEM setup has survived remarkably well. :)

Since you plan to use the vehicle as an expedition tool, you'll be wanting to replace those tyres and wheels with something more standard anyway. You want 235/85 All Terrains (I like BFGs, but General AT2s have a good reputation too), not big muds, as big tyres grip less on wet roads (prone to aquaplaning), in mud or snow and muds are too aggressive on shale, gravel, sand and tarmac. Big tyres are also harder to locate abroad, while standard sizes are easier to replace, and they chew up fuel and put more strain on the transmission and steering, which is best avoided on expeditions.

The replacement of wheels and tyres will affect your needs for spare mountings.

Hello

If you like the look of the alisport spare wheel carrier , have a look at spare wheel carrier pay special attention to the hinge and you'll find it's identical to the alisport one :) .

So if you/or know someone who's handy with a welder I'm sure you could make one for quite a bit less :P

Cheers

Gary

I had forgotten about that - does anyone know where paul got the hinge from? I can feel another project coming on!