Transferbox Rebuild

I will be rebuilding my LT230 soon. Im gathering together all the info i can before i start and have a good study. Few questions though.

1. Can someone give me a link to the LT230 Rebuild Manual? Ive tried 1 link that i found but the link isnt working.

2. Are there any parts i would be better replacing over and above what Ashcrofts provide in their master rebuild kit?

3. When i get to the stage where i have a large pile of parts on my workbench, would i be better getting the case sleeved where the intermediate shaft exits the case in order to prevent future leaks in that area?

4. Any other potential banana skins i need to watch out for?

Thanks

Phil

wow,that's a lot of money...I was going to say don't forget the collapsible spacer tube,but it's in the kit.Out of interest,can you fit a cross-drilled input gear into any t/box,assuming it has 26 teeth?If so,I'd be spending an extra few quid getting one while ye have it's guts oot on your workbench :)

I have another one too, but the torque settings seem all over the show compared to those in the manual above and my workshop manual, so i dont tend to give it out - if you think anythings missing in the manual above, give me a shout and i'll post the other one up too.

Retro - maybe my box has one already. How will i tell?

When you remove the PTO cover and bearing carrier, you can withdraw the inout gear. It'll be obvious if the shaft is drilled to allow oil to get to the input shaft from the gearbox. The splines really suffered on vehicles with older transfer boxes without this modification. I dont know of any other way of telling other than looking at the gear to double check.

Look at the pic of the gear here:

http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=8

This is cross drilled. If ot isnt, the holes in the middle of the shaft will be missing effectiley decreasing lubrication of the gearbox shaft it engages with.

a worthy addition for the extra money if you're taking the box out anyway need4speed.I have a feeling the gear with the longer spines may be to marry up to an R380 g/box,but may be wrong.Ashcrofts will definitely be able to help you if you have the t/box id handy :)

Reading through the transferbox overhaul manual im wondering what steps i need to follow, and what steps to disregard.

For example, if you scroll down to page 37 where its describing the steps involved in stripping down the front output housing, step 23 states that you should remove the differential bearing track from the housing and discard it. However Ashcrofts master rebuild kit does not include this track so id be ill-advised to bin it.

How many steps in the manual should i ignore? I dont want to strip it down too far and find that i dont have adequate parts supplied in the rebuild kit...

Phil

• 1 month later...

Ok. Finally got to stripping it.

Bad news i think. On removal of the intermediate shaft i have noticed wear. It looks like the bearings have nipped up and rotated on the shaft itself. :(

You can feel the marks left with your fingernail. The shaft is obviously fubar. My dad said that in his engineering days companies used to spray-weld a worn shaft and then remachine to size. Is this a viable option? Im loathed to buy another second-hand transferbox as it could turn out to be exactly the same.

Im not stripping the box down any further until i find out if its worth saving or not.

Thoughts / opinions please?

Edit: Just noticed that genuine new ones are £80. Just need to splash out. For some reason i thought that they were about £200

Phil

For example, if you scroll down to page 37 where its describing the steps involved in stripping down the front output housing, step 23 states that you should remove the differential bearing track from the housing and discard it. However Ashcrofts master rebuild kit does not include this track so id be ill-advised to bin it.

Phil

Hi Phil,

this is in the kit, all 6 inner and outer taper roller bearings and the 2 flange bearings are included,

Dave