Not good news.....

disco_al

A friend of mine had one exactly like this, 130 cherry picker, his had cracked just in front of the trailing arm, obviously a steel issue. The tipper bodied ones he uses havent shown any sign of this happening. I dont think the boom can be used without the suport legs down and apparently it will not drve until the legs are up. The cherry picker itself is plated as weighing one ton.

Its probably the platform sub chassis that is stopping the chassis flexing over its entire length and as a result it creates a stress raiser at that point so fatigue sets in with the obvious result.

You'd think that would be the obvious reason that should never have happened.

Both Land Rover and the Cherry Picker manufacturer should be aware of this as an installation issue. There should have been provison for it to be mounted on three 'flexible' mounts allowing the Cherry Picker to have a stable frame on legs and the Land Rover chassis space to flex.

Basic 1st year City and Guilds Motor Vehicle Tech knowledge if IIRC from nearly 30 years ago.

reading the article it appears that it could be user error with the legs... loading the chassis in ways it shouldnt be.

I read that and decided it was complete cock. The vehicle's weight should be able to be taken on one corner where the jacking points are so the notion that by retracting one set of legs first you can snap the chassis in half is drivel!