Electric fan broken

smokinv8

Whilst out doing a spot of greenlaning today my 200tdi 90 got very hot and boiled over despite having an electric fan. On closer inspection the fan was found not to be working although the electric supply and relay were, so im guessing the fan itself is kaput.

Is there any particular model of car I should look out for at the scrapyard to get one off or am I better off buying new?

I want to fit the replacement fan in some sort of framework so that it can be removed easily to enable the radiator to be washed out. Anyone else done something similar or better?

My electric fan mount.

It's a Kenlowe but would work for any fan with the correct pattern of plate + holes. Just take a tape measure to the scrap yard and find a fan that fits. I have heard a Mondeo fan will do so, but haven't tried myself.

Nice and simple solution to fitting the fan, guess it doesnt really need a complete frame set up.

Was also wondering if a twin fan set up would work better or maybe I'd be just making extra work for myself on the install. :huh:

I have a single MK3 Mondeo Fan on mine, cost £10 off ebay inc postage, its pritty juicy mines closer 40A it was eating 30A relays originaly :o

Dave.

Got the same fan as Dave from fleebay, slight modification to the cowling that you get with it, other than pretty straight forward fit up.

Can I just ask if your cooling system is all working A ok? I have a 200TDi disco in my 88, my 109, and a friend in his 88. none of them has a fan fitted at all, and they never get hot. I've got brand new rads and thermostats, he hasnt, and to add to it, a friend with a 200TDi 110 was having a lot of overheating troubles, that a new rad cured. I have an independant temperature gauge which tells me my water temp in degrees C, and it rarely gets above 90, even with the weather we've been having, and despite working her hard.

Can I just ask if your cooling system is all working A ok? I have a 200TDi disco in my 88, my 109, and a friend in his 88. none of them has a fan fitted at all, and they never get hot. I've got brand new rads and thermostats, he hasnt, and to add to it, a friend with a 200TDi 110 was having a lot of overheating troubles, that a new rad cured. I have an independant temperature gauge which tells me my water temp in degrees C, and it rarely gets above 90, even with the weather we've been having, and despite working her hard.

Mine only gets hot when the rad is not cleaned properly.

Sorry, missed this post. This is the first time that mine has ever gone over half way on the temperature gauge but after taking the fan off I found there was a bad connection (After I had been and got a mondeo fan grrr!).

I replaced it anyway because I never liked how the fan was mounted on those plastic thingumies that go throught the rad.

And I still cant get the bugger to work!

Ah well, another days job to tackle along with the front diff pinion seal that I just replaced only to find it leaking again straight away!!!! Yes I checked the breather and yes I fitted a new yoke as well this time.

I have a thought. I fitted a Kenlowe 13" H/D fand to our TDi, along with other tweaks for power and economy.

Anyhoo, in removing the visouc fan and cowling I realised that the factory fan not only ensures the water stays cool but also chills the intercooler all the time, as the engine speeds up so does the chill on the I/C.

So by removing the viscous and cowl, have I made the intercooler less efficient? particulary in low box or when towing (low speed high engine load) when there is little air getting pushed through the rad.

My 110 v8's radiator is 25" x 16", so this pair of 14" fans wouldn't fit. Is a 90 rad bigger?. I have a 4.6 RPi engine fitted and it was overheating a bit with the single 16" electric fan, so I've moved it over to the right and fitted 2x 8" fans next to it.

Geoff :)