Insurance for a modded Puma??

Hi all,

I realise insurance has been covered a million times on here, but I have a need that no other post seems to answer......

I have a new Puma 90, which I intend to modify. I've called the companies recommend on here, such as Frank Pickles and Lancaster, but they won't cover new vehicles.

Sureterm have quoted £350, but will charge admin every time I add something.

Basically, my question is.... What company will give me a good quote without charging me £20 odd every time I add something?

Nige

Have you tried NFU? they are usually pretty relaxed about mods and have never charged me any admin fees for changes.

Depends where you live though, they can be fussy about what home areas they will cover for. Still worth enquiring.

I know quite a few people that use Adrian Flux and are very happy with there premiums, i used footman james when i had a puma 110 which was heavily modded, and i was very happy with my premium.

I know quite a few people that use Adrian Flux and are very happy with there premiums, i used footman james when i had a puma 110 which was heavily modded, and i was very happy with my premium.

I was with Adrian Flux and happy with the premiums but..... I have to say that they were very very poor once they had recieved my money, even after being with them for 4 years when it came to customer service/enquiries/changes they were unhelpful to the point of being rude. Im always eager for a bargain but this is a rare occassion that I would pay more for better service!

No experience with the other companies mentioned, good luck!

I was with Adrian Flux and happy with the premiums but..... I have to say that they were very very poor once they had recieved my money, even after being with them for 4 years when it came to customer service/enquiries/changes they were unhelpful to the point of being rude. Im always eager for a bargain but this is a rare occassion that I would pay more for better service!

No experience with the other companies mentioned, good luck!

I'm with Adrian Flux, have been for 3 years, and as I am a grad student my address is always changing. Not only do they give me the cheapest price, but also dont mind me changing address, and changing the mods with them (only done it twice) but never had any admin charges. Never had any issue with customer service and they have always bent over backwards to accommodate me.

Thanks for all your tips Guys. I thought I'd compile a list of my findings. Bear in mind I'm 48 with 13 years no claims!!

Standard vehicle:-

A Flux. £1000

Footman James declined to quote

Lancaster declined

Frank Pickles declined

Sureterm £374

Land Rover £544

Hastings £650

NFU £455

With mods. ( wheels, Snorkel, underbody protection and 2" lift).

Sureterm £424

Land Rover £544

NFU £500

What's strange is that Land Rover don't seem to care about mods? Nfu don't charge admin, but sureterm charge £30 everytime you make a change.

I'm shocked at Adrian Flux, as I've had insurance with them in the past for a few modded skylines!!

Nige

Thanks for all your tips Guys. I thought I'd compile a list of my findings. Bear in mind I'm 48 with 13 years no claims!!

Standard vehicle:-

A Flux. £1000

Footman James declined to quote

Lancaster declined

Frank Pickles declined

Sureterm £374

Land Rover £544

Hastings £650

NFU £455

With mods. ( wheels, Snorkel, underbody protection and 2" lift).

Sureterm £424

Land Rover £544

NFU £500

What's strange is that Land Rover don't seem to care about mods? Nfu don't charge admin, but sureterm charge £30 everytime you make a change.

I'm shocked at Adrian Flux, as I've had insurance with them in the past for a few modded skylines!!

Nige

Sure is strange - are PUMA defenders thief magnets?

G

The reason some quotes were declined was because the vehicle is brand new.

I've always believed the older models are more likely to get stolen?? The Puma has a cat2 alarm and immobiliser.

As cwazywabbit said, the Puma is worth too much. Mine books at £21000.

I think I'm gonna go with sureterm. The guy I spoke to was very knowledgable and helpful.

Nige

Gazzar it is more likely a reflection of the market value of the vehicle, how much would you value a Puma 90 at? Is certainly a lot more than my 24 year old 110.

I would have thought it was a multiple factor issue: The value of the vehicle, and the risk of a payout. Afterall, if the risk of payout is low then the premium should reflect that.

Mind you I often have different views on the risk associated with property; I was refused insurance on my house because it was over 100 years old.

Now, I would have thought that if the house has survived over 100 years then it would be a LOWER risk than a house that is untested. But then again I think that coil sprung vehicles are still experimental, seeing as they've only been tested for a few decades, unlike the superior leaf sprung technology, which has had several millennia of testing.

Enough warbling from me - I've a diesel engine to fit to a Landrover.

Daylight robbery if you fall for it. I have just been onto Money Supermarket for a quote for my 1987 Defender with Disco 200 tdi engine and disco alloy wheels. Fully comp with 2 named drivers and 11 years NCD - £8797.12. Bargain - not! ...

Hi

I dont know if anyone is still looking but this may help.....

Land rover 127, lots of modds i.e. mazda engine,roofrack,wheels,sliders,cd,winch,seats,etc fully comp as second car £155 :o

2gether ins underwritten by Highways/lloyds

Well Guys, after all my ramblings, and searching for insurance, I have actually stayed with Admiral!! They now cover mods, and were cheaper than anyone else??? I got cover for my Puma and my other car for £650!! my other car is a 10 plate Mazda.

Thanks for all your tips and suggestions, but it would seem that all the companies shy away from new Land Rovers??