Power steering conversion

Haulie

We need a defender SW column for mounting a wheel series. 90 or 110 but SW

It doesn't matter what body-type or trim of Defender you use as a source, it's the age of the vehicle that matters. SW, pick-up or Hi-Cap, it doesn't make the slightest difference. If the information I previously had about it being the 200Tdi steering wheels that are compatible, then you're looking at vehicles from 1989 to 1993/4. However, since PAS conversions will also use the steering column, it doesn't matter what age donor you use as you can take the matching wheel too; while Defender columns will bolt into a Series vehicle easily enough, the length and thus the steering wheel position is different, and you wouldn't want a Series wheel on a Defender column unless you alter the column position significantly - the Series' wheel has an offset that puts the rim closer to the driver than the boss, while the Defender is pretty flat. That means a SII/SIII wheel on a Def column will be very close to the driver's chest.

Nick,

I agree with you. As a general rule of thumb I've learned that Land Rover used two different types of steering columns, the non metric 3/4 inch diameter that has a 48 spline count and then the metric 17mm that has a 36 spline count. Once a person can establish which they have then it's easier to find a matching wheel that suites their requirements.

At the moment I have the soft 2 spoke Defender steering wheel on the landy which doesn't fit the early Defender steering column that I have for this conversion. The matching steering wheel for that column is the 4 spoke hard plastic wheel that I will be changing out for a Td5 steering wheel (again a 2 spoke soft feel) that I know does fit this column.

Todd.

Nick,

I agree with you. As a general rule of thumb I've learned that Land Rover used two different types of steering columns, the non metric 3/4 inch diameter that has a 48 spline count and then the metric 17mm that has a 36 spline count. Once a person can establish which they have then it's easier to find a matching wheel that suites their requirements.

At the moment I have the soft 2 spoke Defender steering wheel on the landy which doesn't fit the early Defender steering column that I have for this conversion. The matching steering wheel for that column is the 4 spoke hard plastic wheel that I will be changing out for a Td5 steering wheel (again a 2 spoke soft feel) that I know does fit this column.

Todd.

That pretty much confirms what I had understood, then - I knew that the 4-spoke steering wheels were incompatible with Series columns, so if the late Defender wheels will fit 90/110 columns, then it must be the 200Tdi steering wheels (parts-bin proviso withstanding) that match the Series' splines.

It doesn't matter what body-type or trim of Defender you use as a source, it's the age of the vehicle that matters. SW, pick-up or Hi-Cap, it doesn't make the slightest difference. If the information I previously had about it being the 200Tdi steering wheels that are compatible, then you're looking at vehicles from 1989 to 1993/4. However, since PAS conversions will also use the steering column, it doesn't matter what age donor you use as you can take the matching wheel too; while Defender columns will bolt into a Series vehicle easily enough, the length and thus the steering wheel position is different, and you wouldn't want a Series wheel on a Defender column unless you alter the column position significantly - the Series' wheel has an offset that puts the rim closer to the driver than the boss, while the Defender is pretty flat. That means a SII/SIII wheel on a Def column will be very close to the driver's chest.

That's what I found. Maybe this is specific to the French market?

Good info in here!

I'm collecting the parts needed to fit power steering on my 109 complete with a high-steer kit. I want to fit a P38 box and defender steering column, like more people have done by the looks of it.

Let's discuss steering shafts and U-joints. What fits and what doesn't? Would you use a P38 steering shaft or the Defender one? I'm thinking about grabbing a Defender steering shaft and fit the P38 ujont at the steeringbox end, might needs to be welded though....

Thoughts?

Good info in here!

I'm collecting the parts needed to fit power steering on my 109 complete with a high-steer kit. I want to fit a P38 box and defender steering column, like more people have done by the looks of it.

Let's discuss steering shafts and U-joints. What fits and what doesn't? Would you use a P38 steering shaft or the Defender one? I'm thinking about grabbing a Defender steering shaft and fit the P38 ujont at the steeringbox end, might needs to be welded though....

Thoughts?

The upper splines on the P38 steering shaft fit the lower splines on the Defender steering column, so yes you would use the P38 steering shaft. If I remember correctly, the splines on the P38 steering box are unique to the P38 and the P38 shaft is the only one that fits.

Todd.

That's good to know, thanks heaps for that!

Would this be a good idea though, seeing that that shaft is one-piece so can't collapse, in case of an accident.. Don't know how much that matters... in a frontal collision there's also a huge engine with all its bits that can be pushed inwards... :unsure:

That's the one I was looking at. I guess I didn't look good enough or just plain didn't recognize the collapsible part. I saw now. Thanks

Back to a steering column question.

Would a TD5 steering column fit too or are you guys talking about Tdi columns? Not talking about steering wheel fitment, just the fitment of the actual column. I can't seem to find decent pictures whether they all use more or less the same mouning points.

Reason is I saw 2 Td5 columns for sale on fleabay :). I just want to make sure I can actually use them.

The TD5 uses the same column assembly as the 300Tdi, and that only differs from the earlier 200Tdi Defender column in the splines at the ends. I'd be very surprised if the TDCI Defenders had a different column - if it ain't broke...

I saw on fleabay that the TD5 steering columns were considerably cheaper than the earlier steering columns. I could count tomorrow how many splines are on the bottom of my early 110 steering column if you (ToyRoverlander) want to ask one of the sellers there if they can give you a spline count at the bottom of the Td5 column.

Todd.

I saw on fleabay that the TD5 steering columns were considerably cheaper than the earlier steering columns. I could count tomorrow how many splines are on the bottom of my early 110 steering column if you (ToyRoverlander) want to ask one of the sellers there if they can give you a spline count at the bottom of the Td5 column.

Todd.

Done. I'll report back when I get an answer..

I counted mine and the spline count at the bottom is 48.

Thinking a bit more about the steering column that I have, I can't honestly remember if it came from a 110 or a Defender 110. I bought it here on this forum, so I'll do some digging to find out what vehicle it came from.

Todd.

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting an old thread...

I have the P38 box on the shelf already with joint but without any shaft...someone cutted it with an angle grinder.

I can get a Td5 steering column...will it be okay?
I want to keep the SII steering wheel too, but that's another story I think...

For what its worth I used the knackered old inner column out of my 101 inside the stock SIIA column with a mounted bearing on the end of that. A simple 90° cut out of some box section with the two hole patterns and I am done. Looks completely stock inside and takes a UJ on the bottom end. No welding required. The 101 is the same as series IIA at least and is longer which makes cutting the scroll off and adding flats easy.

Not sure it helps but if you have 101 friends ask as corrosion and failure of the scroll on them is a common problem. Start hinting that they need a steering rebuild.

I have no friends...with a FC :mellow:

I'll get the Td5 column on sale here, assuming is the same as the Tdi type it will be okay!

Pile of bits will grow...

Defender columns bolt fairly easily to Series bulkheads, you just need to fabricate a lower bracket on the bulkhead support. There is some weirdness with steering wheels around the 300tdi era I think, TD5 might be back to normal. Series wheel won't fit any of 'em but that's a job for later...

You will need a P38 shaft and joints as the P38 steeringbox has a different shaft size than defender/RRC, but the other end of the shaft fits the defender steering column.

I bought this one from Paddocks: http://www.paddockspares.com/anr3698-steering-shaft-including-ujs.html

Furthermore I used a column off of a 200TDI 90" from '93 and on this a S3 steering wheel fits, dunno about S2 though

Defender columns bolt fairly easily to Series bulkheads, you just need to fabricate a lower bracket on the bulkhead support. There is some weirdness with steering wheels around the 300tdi era I think, TD5 might be back to normal. Series wheel won't fit any of 'em but that's a job for later...

Yes, there were different splines from 90/110 to Def 200 and again to Def 300. I'm pretty confident that the 90/110 and 300 and later (approximate change overs; you know how LR like to mix and match as models change over) share the same splines as the RRC and Discovery, and the 200 matched the SII and SIII, though I stand to be corrected. So, a 200 Def column should take a Series wheel. But, as I said before, that'd put the wheel rim awfully close to the driver as its offset from the boss, unlike the flat Defender wheels.

Thanks fellas for the reassuring words,

fabrication is not a problem but as long as I can recycle stock parts I prefer,

as they look...well, stock :blink: so even some curious eye could be mislead :ph34r::SVA go away:

As I said my P38 box is missing the shaft, I'll keep my eyes open for used parts on sale...

This is another long term project as I don't know what I'll be able to do with the suspension setup,

plus I'm freshly in need of a new job...oh happy day.

Ta ^_^