Bang from the rear end over bumps

Hi folks,

Just recently i have noticed a bang that sounds like its from the rear when going over large bumps. Mainly speed bumps when on the downward face of them when the axle drops. I had a look under the land rover (90 300tdi with 125k on the clock) and i cant see anything obvious. At first, i thought it was the exhaust, as just fitted a new one, but its all secure. Has anyone got any ideas, as i dont now where to start, maybe certain bushes, springs etc. Many thanks in advance guys.:)

- A-frame ball joint with corresponding bushes

- Trailing arm bushes could be whacked

- Radius arm bushes could indirectly help to this noise

These are quite simple operations. I did change all my suspension bushes and feel like I drive a jet now :o;)

Hi,

Not wishing to imply anything but what condition were the exhaust mountings in? I had a similar noise a little while ago (2004 XS Td5). I got under checked the mount and they looked fine however when I took them off they were cracked and perished but when in place there was no sign of this. 3 x rubber mounts later, no noise. Worth double checking. If not get the spanners out and get 'down n dirty'. Check literally every nut and bolt and lube up every thing in sight. Lubing will either help or make worse if worse you'll have some kind of starting place, lubed areas that is. Good luck and let us know what the problem was.

landypc

• 10 years later...

I've got the same issue with my 2000 td5, raised it 2" with HD springs and shocks to suit, also fitted double cranked trailing arms (as there were no single cranked available) with superpro poly bushes. It's almost as if the springs are under too much pressure and slam the axel down over bumps...I've been told most of it could be A frame joint bushes and movement. Yet to replace.