TD5 Hand Throttle

Hi all,

Does anybody already do a hand throttle kit for a TD5?

If not can anybody think why this wouldn't work?

I'm thinking of fitting a switched relay that would bring in a potentiometer of the same impedance as the throttle position pot. Relay would disconnect the original throttle pot whilst the switch was on.

Cheers,

Mick.

Hi all,

Does anybody already do a hand throttle kit for a TD5?

If not can anybody think why this wouldn't work?

I'm thinking of fitting a switched relay that would bring in a potentiometer of the same impedance as the throttle position pot. Relay would disconnect the original throttle pot whilst the switch was on.

Cheers,

Mick.

There are 3 potentiometers in the circuit and one works in reverse from the other 2 i.e. the resistnace drops as the other 2 increases. Not impossible, you just need to find 3 modular, stackable pots.

No we just hard wired into the loom at the ecu and the second throttle operated in tandam with foot throttle. Some Utility Board Defenders have hand throttles for hydraulic winches - see how they do it?

Chris Bowler

This should not work? Adding in parallel will have affected the values, as would series.

Just be careful with hand-throttles: I have evil memories of winter night-driving a military FFR SIIA when the Land-Rover-naiive passenger reached down and shoved what he assumed was the heater-blower lever to 'full'.

--Tanuki.

"The tag on a T-shirt I bought today carries the assertion CARELESSNESS CAUSES

FIRE. In my experience wielding a flame-gun full of AVGAS is a more effective

way of causing fire than just 'being careless'."

• Haha 1

This should not work? Adding in parallel will have affected the values, as would series.

I don't know the wiring of the TD5 throttle but if it a 3 wire job it's possible that wiring in parallel could work fine, it might not be a good practice though.

The ecu could apply a voltage across the pot and measure the voltage at the wiper to sense the throttle position.

So long as neither wiper is at the extreme ie dead short to either gnd or +v then moving either wiper could vary the voltage, however in certain circumstances the total resistance would get very low and the increased current could burn out part of the track in the pot. However it is possible that the ecu can not supply enough current to do damage. Of course this is all assumption but is I believe a scenario that would work but with risks.

Like I said above - we did this as part of diagnostic work to identify a problem on a d2 td5 - not to produce a hand throttle - if you want a hand throttle for a td5 then look at the utility board Defenmder 110 with hydraulic winches and how they are set up.

CB

Like I said above - we did this as part of diagnostic work to identify a problem on a d2 td5 - not to produce a hand throttle - if you want a hand throttle for a td5 then look at the utility board Defenmder 110 with hydraulic winches and how they are set up.

CB

Thanks Chaps,

CB if you have already done this did you just wire the pots up in parallel? Can you remember what the impedance and wattage of the pot was?

By the way I don't intend driving with the hand throttle, it's just for a hydraulic pump.

Thanks,

Mick.

According to google the Special Vehicles option for a hand throttle is 822SV which has a list of £1160.92 and is only available when ordering a new vehicle.

God knows what they fit for that sort of money :S

http://www.landrover.com/imagery/market/netherlands/business-driver/nl-only-defender-special-vehicles

damn electronics,

if there was a control on the pump body, you couldnt just put a cable to it, cos the TPS would tell the ECU it was wrong and it would go into limp mode.

could you add a variable resistor in paralell to the throttle pedal wire (im not sure wich one it would have to be) and attach it to the dash, it would be controlled like a dimmer switch, or would the resistor work the wrong way and reduce revs?

Did a bit more reading and the TD5 pedal has 2 or 3 potentiometers (depending on age) so it's not that simple.....

However this company do cruise controls http://www.conrad-anderson.co.uk/cruisecontrols/vehicle-specific-cruise-control/cruise-control-landrover.htm

They are still bloody expensive but they seem to use a small pulley on the back of the existing pedal to provide the automated throttle on a TD5. So it may actually be a better idea to rig up a hand throttle cable to physically move the foot pedal, would it be possible to rig the hand throttle cable for an older defender to move the foot pedal? Would certainly be far cheaper :)

• 11 years later...

Thinking in line with chrisbowler's suggestion above, a switch that swaps the wires from the foot throttle pedal to a second throttle pedal. Remove the spring from that, and move it by hand? Just wiring in parallel I don't think would work, as there would be conflicting values reaching the ECU I think.