Landrover stereo

On eBay is a land rover stereo,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Defender-CD-Player-/110700980428?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19c64ae8cc

Am i being over cautious as to the legalities of it ??

yes the scratches could be caused by the owner removing it but surley he would have radio code ?? Also, if bought surley you would need to provide a dealer more than just "vehicle ownership" to obtain the code ?? Taken from listing "I don’t have radio code but you can find this online and several ways even from Land Rover Company just you have to prove your ownership of land rover"

i know im a cynic but summat dont seem right,

Hope it is kosha and if its someone from forum they wont mind !!!!

Paul

I've got one of those, bought via ebay, no problem, had the code with it & the top face is slightly scratched by removal, can't help that. LR dealer can find the code for you.

seller does say, replaced by another unit with lcd screen for dvd's

just ask him a few question, not that difficult.

The only comment I have to make is that those are about as sh^te for reliability as every other Land Rover factory stereo ever fitted and I'm talking from 15 years of experience replacing the darned things under warranty. Kenwood etc are almost 100% reliable - we sell those in the shop and I'd guess have about 1% returns if that, but the factory head units are awful - that is the type fitted to all Pumas and we've changed quite a few under warranty.

Like most of the factory offerings, it's a nice enough stereo while it's working but sooner rather than later I would put money on the radio not working, the CD not working, the volume control not working, the thing not switching on (or not switching off), always switching on at full volume, or something similar. If my vehicle came with one in I'd keep it till it blew up, but I wouldn't bother spending money on buying one unless it's very cheap.

Also consider that they might need an adaptor lead to go on the back - I can't remember what sockets those CD stereos have on but I know the older radiocassette (fitted in pre Puma vehicles like my '06 Tdi) had a big single BMW socket on the back of the radio so when you change the radio you need an adaptor lead.

with the monster on this.

tried a fleabag LR unit for 60 notes, was okay but quality of sound poor and then it started to fall apart, got a jvc unit for about same though is new with 2 yr warranty and has aux input for i pod and Pure DAB radio adaptor.

i reckon lots of people jump like me cos LR charge 300 plus so it must be good, no they just charging a lot of money.

Funny, I had an old Defender Radio cassette in my Fiesta when I was a student, best stereo I've ever had! Sound came out of both speakers, could find and hold a radio station...I've actually kept it to put into my 110 when it's back on the road, for that -ahem- period look :rolleyes:

Since you ask, the fiesta's cambelt let go at 85mph in the outside lane of the M4, so it was one of those rare things, a fiesta that wasn't killed by rust!!

Since you ask, the fiesta's cambelt let go at 85mph in the outside lane of the M4, so it was one of those rare things, a fiesta that wasn't killed by rust!!

Must have been someone else driving it of course :blink:

Anyway, I still have the original radio/cassette with 6-CD changer in my Disco which turned 16 this year. Everything still works, although I'm amazed how rubbish cassettes sound!

There's a genuine reason for taking any OE stereo out - they're usually rubbish. Often fairly well screwed together, and more tasteful than a lot of halfords fayre, but even £50 gets you a fairly well featured JVC these days (EG MP3 playback, external inputs for ipod etc., USB/SD sockets and whatnot).

As an example, I paid £250 for this brand new from eBay, it plays everything (CD,DVD,MP3,AVI,MPG,USB,SD,FM,TV,2x AV inputs, reversing camera input,bluetooth), has the whole of europe mapped in it (includes a SiRF3 GPS mouse), will run OziExplorer and play a DVD to the back seats while navigating in the front. The new ones are cheaper and I think include digital TV & radio as standard.

eonon1.jpg