What overdrive?

ChelseaTractor

There's also the Toro to add into the list of potential overdrives, and these you struggle to get any parts for whatsoever!

wow, never heard of them. they any good? :)

Going by the above the Roverdrive would the obvious answer I suppose???

The lever comes out of the seatbox on the vertical face to the right of the tunnel.

cheers

Jon

it could be, my money is on it being a fairey. :D

When I looked at the Roverdrives at Billing (admittedly I was only looking at the defender ones) the lever to engage it is mounted to the left of the hi-low lever and a bit longer. I can't see anyone going to the trouble of mounting it anywhere else as they have made quite a few custom parts to put it there.

1105.jpg

http://www.wiberg-wiberg.com/vis.asp?v=vare&vid=154&gid=11

The Roverdrive lever uses an identical mounting bracket and comes out in the same position as the Fairey designed unit's lever. All Roverdrives for Series LRs come with a green plastic knob with the same flattish shape as the yellow and red knobs for the transfer box, with "ROVERDRIVE", "ENGAGED" and "DISENGAGED" engraved in white.

I very much doubt that anyone would scrap a vehicle with a serviceable Roverdrive on it - they're way too uncommon and too valuable for that. My money would be on a Fairey, which do sometimes remain on scrappers because the last owner doesn't have a clue that they're removable and relatively valuable; a Roverdrive would have been a recent and very expensive addition that the owner would try to recoup.

My money would be on a Fairey, which do sometimes remain on scrappers because the last owner doesn't have a clue that they're removable and relatively valuable;

Yeah, then you get the people that remove them, but forget to get the bit that's left inside the box out :rolleyes:

The clutch sleeve is often left inside the transfer box, but they are easily sourced and usually worn out anyway, so it's not a major loss. What is more of a problem is that people remove the Fairey without removing the lever, bracket and link rod, none of which are very easy to source (though the Roverdrive levers would work with a custom fabricated link rod). But yes, your point that morons are in more plentiful supply than overdrives is accurate. ;)

Without wanting to gate crash someone elses thread too much. This one is in a 109 sat on my drive & I want to put it in my girls 2a 88. Any tips?

They're pretty easy to fit, though I would recommend you getting or making the proper tool for the main shaft nut, hammer and bolster just isn't good enough IMHO.

Have you looked at the actual unit yet or just the lever?

Fairey is a bit of a give away! IMAG0057.jpg

& the lever as said comes out of the rhs of the tunel. IMAG0056.jpg

Without wanting to gate crash someone elses thread too much. This one is in a 109 sat on my drive & I want to put it in my girls 2a 88. Any tips?

Try this: http://www.nickslandrover.co.uk/archives/619

Fairey was bought out by Superwinch (in the 80's, I think), but continues to make the units. My Superwinch unit had no markings. Rovers Down South bought the rights from Superwinch after it was discontinued and made them in small volumes, though they have apparently again been discontinued. Their units have RDS on the same face as the Fairey markings and are otherwise identical.

If you search the internet you'll find a copy of the installation instructions for the Fairey overdrive. You'll need a new locking washer for the nut on the back of the mainshaft - its special - if you use an ordinary one the overdrive will not go right home as the unused 'ears' are too long. Alternatively trim a little off them and all will be well. The nut on the mainshaft MUST be done up to 100 lb ft and locked - if its not it will come loose and the gearbox will start jumping out of gear generally on the overrun.

The instructions will help you cut the hole in the transmission tunnel for the lever in the right place. By the time you've measured it all and cut the hole this will probably take longer than fitting the overdrive itself.

Ok, had a bit of playing time today so did some taking apart. I got to the gearbox area and took off the overdrive.

Cleaned it up and there it was grinning at me. Fairey Winches. Tavistock. Devon.

I think the lever arrangement has been messed with as the position is different from a standard Fairey and a bent rod has been welded to the bit that pivots.

So, an anti climax but thanks for looking/contributing words of wisdom. The big 'R' on the knob is still a mystery though....

Jon.