PTO's

Hi.

Not sure exactly where to start. But I'm hoping someone could explain how PTO's work a bit in general and specifically with the LT230 transfer box.

I presume you can run a PTO from a LT230??

I guess what I'd like to know is, how do you go about using it?

And how does it work?

I've read that in theory you could use the PTO to drive another axle or as an input to another LT230. I'm thinking along the lines of how a 6x6 or even an 8x8 vehicle could be propelled.

Is the PTO rpm the same as the transfer box input rpm??

Thanks for your help.

PTO just means "Power Take Off", with the LT230 it's anything that bolts to the back cover for the input gear so yes it turns at the speed of the input gear. Most popular being mechanical drives for winches, or hydraulic pumps for winches & other implements. Back in the old days, Series vehicles could have a rear PTO (hence the hole in the back X-member) to power farm implements like a tractor.

Some other vehicles have PTO's on the main gearbox or flywheel, you can also crank-drive stuff but that's not usually referred to as PTO.

Most PTO's have a dog clutch to engage/disengage which is done by an extra lever in the cab, although you can actuate a clutch any which way you like. The Escaro 8x8 used two transfer boxes back-to-back as I understand it - a search on here should turn up more info about them.

It does what it says on the tin i.e. its a power take off

usually driven from rear of lt230 fits in place of bearing plate . so you engage by pressing clutch and moving lever to connect pto and selecting gear in main box and usually neutral in transfer , as its mainly used when vehicle stationary

can be used to drive oil pump for hydraulic equipment , or generator, or a prop shaft to drive rear end equipment . There is also a bottom power take off (rare) that fits onto bottom of transfer box , also front pto that connects to front of crank usually to drive winch (drum or capstan type) HTSH

PTO just means "Power Take Off", with the LT230 it's anything that bolts to the back cover for the input gear so yes it turns at the speed of the input gear. Most popular being mechanical drives for winches, or hydraulic pumps for winches & other implements. Back in the old days, Series vehicles could have a rear PTO (hence the hole in the back X-member) to power farm implements like a tractor.

Some other vehicles have PTO's on the main gearbox or flywheel, you can also crank-drive stuff but that's not usually referred to as PTO.

Most PTO's have a dog clutch to engage/disengage which is done by an extra lever in the cab, although you can actuate a clutch any which way you like. The Escaro 8x8 used two transfer boxes back-to-back as I understand it - a search on here should turn up more info about them.

Thanks.

So to get the dog clutch is there a part I can buy easily, a Land Rover part?

Funny you should mention Esarco, as that is exactly the reason I was posting this in the first place :)

I was wondering the feasibility of buying a 127 or 130 Land Rover, removing the body, and getting hold of a couple more axles and a 2nd LT230.

To me it seems a fairly simply job of then doing some calculations and lining it all up to produce a rolling chassis looking a little like this:

Esarcodrivetrain.jpg

I was then thinking of using a 110 HiCap rear pickup bed and using the 127/130 double cab, but moving the entire cab forward so the bulk head was over the front of the front wheels and fab up some front body work using other land bits (maybe Series IIa/IIb looking) and rig up the steering and pedals in a similar fashion to a 101.

It wouldn't quite be an Esarco, just a vehicle built in the image of. Evidently there's a great deal more to it than just this. But I was curious as to if it was possible.

The dog clutch is quite simple but the only practical way to get hold of one is to buy a PTO winch setup (~£250 on eBay) or trawl sodbury for the remnants of one attached to a transfer box. I don't think there's been a PTO for the LT230 produced in any volume that does what you want... but what you want looks a lot like a fixed shaft on bearings in a tube so since that's going to be custom anyway you may as well whittle the whole lot to suit.

There were rear-facing PTO's designed to drive a propshaft for the Series (and possibly also LT85 RR/101 box) but they don't fit the LT230. A trawl of eBay may turn up some items to give you ideas though.

The dog clutch is quite simple but the only practical way to get hold of one is to buy a PTO winch setup (~£250 on eBay) or trawl sodbury for the remnants of one attached to a transfer box. I don't think there's been a PTO for the LT230 produced in any volume that does what you want... but what you want looks a lot like a fixed shaft on bearings in a tube so since that's going to be custom anyway you may as well whittle the whole lot to suit.

There were rear-facing PTO's designed to drive a propshaft for the Series (and possibly also LT85 RR/101 box) but they don't fit the LT230. A trawl of eBay may turn up some items to give you ideas though.

Cheers. Presume you mean LT95 for the 101/RR?

• 2 weeks later...

I would be very surprised if the builders of the Esarco didn't have to modify the input gears of the LT230 transfercases, because although the 230 is the strongest of the 3 LandRover built transfercases, it has the weakest PTO dog clutch arrangement, with a deep undercut machined behind the male dog teeth, and although adequate for driving winches and hydraulic pumps, IMO would not be up to driving a second transfercase to power an additional pair of axles.

Bill.

Foleys have got a nice system sorted, check this out.

Links poo's

Mav

Just in case the OP hasn't been discouraged.

If you are any good at fabrication you can make your own version(s) of this drop box by using 2 high range gears, the helical gear section of the intermediate gear, output shaft and front wheel drive dog clutch from old Series transfercases.bolt the box to earlier series diff housings after opening up the oil seal retainer bolt holes from 5/16"bsf to 3/8".

I believe the Foley drop box costs around 5 grand.

Bill.