Central Precision CPL doors

Hi,

Back in 2007 I did replace my 2nd row doors with Paddock ones... now 4 years later they rust like hell.... I did use a lot of wax and anti corrosion spray but that did not help much.

Question now, CPL is making doors for Land Rover, I'm looking for forum members who can share their experience on those doors.. good / bad any info welcome.

Cheers

Marco

just in case anyone wants the website http://centralprecis...id=21&Itemid=28 there is no online catalogue or ordering, just a enquiry link, so doubt they sell direct.

Actually they have a webshop.... http://landefender4x4parts.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=10_16&products_id=4

I have tried to get some more info via them on production process and quality but failed..

no links to that 2nd site on the CP site though.

Yep but it's theirs, received the shop via their front office and this posts confirms... http://landrover.sta...3356959,quote=1

Beside that the webshop is situated within 10miles of the factory, have been "investigating" as I do not like shops with email & 0800 only!

http://www.cdrex.com...ed-2578122.html

But it does raise the question why their is no direct link on the website...

I have been considering making some 2nd row doors out of fiberglass as mine are in a poor state. But need a set to take a mould off and I'm not sure what "construction & use" type issues I'm likely to have. Plus they may work out more expensive than genuine doors.

Mike

I have been considering making some 2nd row doors out of fiberglass as mine are in a poor state. But need a set to take a mould off and I'm not sure what "construction & use" type issues I'm likely to have. Plus they may work out more expensive than genuine doors.

Mike

Could you make your set good, and then glass over and seal them completely?

Mike

What construction and use issues ?? dp you mean mot or vosa issues or offroading ??

Is that due to them having rusted away?

I fear that does contribute, there is decidedly less steel in them than when they left the factory! I just think Defender doors are not heavy enough, they don't have enough weight to them. Presumably the all-steel ones of current use are heavier.

Lee, Mike was most likely referring to the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

They look pretty good - and good value! You pay almost that for a pre-rotted second row door at Sodbury!

I think it may be the insurance that has issues with GRP doors rather than VOSA. I remember asking them about GRP wings and being told 'NO' in no uncertain terms! Don't know whether its a strength or fire resistance issue?

There was a chap I met in Canada (Who works with Lucky8 Land Rover) also named Simon who had cast a set of Aluminium doors for his 101. They were fantastic and had a very solid 'thud' as you closed them. They were single piece construction with the skin & frame as one piece. I think the door tops were still removable. Probably weighed quite a lot - but I'd have bought some just for the sound when you close them!

Si