300 tdi into early rangerover

Boro

They will need changing. You will need to but off the engine mounts and weld on 300 tdi ones, You will also need a Disco/RRC 300 tdi gearbox cross member and possibly propshafts too (not sure on that one!). Fit this first and it will determine where the engine mounts have to be welded on. Should be pretty straight forward if you have a Disco donor complete and on hand.

Pitty i was hoping they would be the same or close enough so that a conversion plate could be used instead of relocating mounts, reason being i was trying not to alter the chassis at all so as to keep it all legitimate for tax exempt status

Not in a position to check at the moment so could someone tell me whether the early rangerover has a bolt on gearbox x member? i dont suppose anyone has pics of a pre 85 rangerover chassis being altered to accept a 300 tdi do they?

early range rover does have a bolt on gearbox crossmember.

I was looking in to an R380 swap a while ago and struggled to find definitive info on mounting locations - I suspect though that the gearbox chassis mounts may be in the same spot.

If your LT95 isn't goosed don't discount it - they work well with a diesel, and you can change the final drive ratio if you have one of the earlier low ratio boxes, without removing the 'box.

look into Isuzu 2.8 diesel conversions - engines are much cheaper than TDi's, I would rate them a tad higher, and you can get a full conversion kit that uses existing engine mounts & LT95 from Conversion & Precision - engines/kits pop up on ebay fairly regularly for a few hundred quid.

I have a complete 300 tdi discovery here i can use as a donor so parts are not an issue, at this stage i havent yet bought a rangerover im just looking in to what is possible as for a long time have been after a tax exempt landrover but wanted something a bit more civilised than a series hence looking at a rangerover just at this point im trying to suss out what conversions are possible without effecting its tax exempt status as going to the letter of the law (according to the dvla site) the chassis has to be unaltered, moving engine mounts isnt a big deal but if the dvla wanted to be funny about it.....

I did also consider sticking with a v8 but the fuel costs are outrageous and by the time you convert to megasquirt/jolt, convert to lpg etc its just not really worth it when i could drop in a tdi for less and get significantly better economy plus an lpg tank would take up precious load space inside or be a worry if outside when offroading

a 4.2 turbodiesel has plenty of grunt however :)

I think the main issue of fitting a late gearbox to an early car is the sticks are in totally different position, and the handbrake mounts to the floor and is done on a bowden cable, rather than the early handbrakes being part of the gearbox. Not sure how people do this neatly unless they cut some of the floor / trans hump from a later model and graft it to the early floorpan. A friend of mine is about to do this so I'm sure he'd like to know too.

As I said before, Isuzu 2.8 diesel is awesome in a rangie - it's a real shame they never used this engine under licence rather than Tdi's or even worse VM's. Cracking engine - tuftrided crank, chrome liners, german build quality. Keep an eye out on ebay as engines and conversion kits from C&P do come up for around 500 quid - uses existing mounts and bolts straight to an LT95.

With a couple of tweeks mine is easily more powerful than my old V8 and does 30+mpg. No way I would go back to petrol.