Shaved or not?

I've seen quite a few comments about shaving a salisbury axle but no discussion about it. Is it just a matter of cutting an inch off the bottom or is there more to it.

Now usually things are designed a certain way for a reason so will cutting an inch off the bottom cause any other problems like oil leaks, cracking etc? Has anyone else done it and have you had any problems?

Rich

The thing is with Dana axles, including the 60 (Salisbury) the pre-load of the bearings is set by the force the caseing exerts back onto the diff output bearings... so you start cutting or even shaving bits of the case, it will mess up the preload force... ( I would have thought reduce it) this is not good. certainly for longevity with a bearing set-up. but if you're using it for a challange vehicle type things that will do short high work types of runs rather than 10hrs cruisng on a motorway you can probably get away with it.

Just something to consider.

I'm sure I was reading a salisbury overhaul manual and it was warning that if you over cook "squashing" the housing to get the diff out by as much as a mm, you can ruin the caseing.

I'm sure I was reading a salisbury overhaul manual and it was warning that if you over cook "squashing" the housing to get the diff out by as much as a mm, you can ruin the caseing.

I remember from my VM1 course at SEME, being told that there was a finite number of times that a Salisbury axle could be spread to remove and replace the diff, after that it wouldn't go back to its original shape and was scrap.

I don't remember how many times exactly, but it wasn't many, something like 3 or 4 times maximum.

I knew some people wouldn't be able to resist the joke answers. :rolleyes:

I did also think I would get more views that way too though :ph34r::lol:

Interesting that the casing has an effect to the preload. But that exactly the sort of issue that made me ask the question. If it was just a simple mod I may have tried it but being a bit more involved and with the potential problems I don't think I'll bother. I'm also more likely to do long trips in it than anything else.

Hi

I am in the proces of building a Salisbury rear axle and shaving is on the agenda, I have had the same thoughts about the casing and have also read that one can only stretch it a certain times before it is bust.......But having read a lot on Pirate and Outerlimit about how people do the shaving on Dana 60's, and not found anything re preload complications, so I will just go a head and get the job done, it can not be that complicated.

I hope to start a tread under members vehicles covering the build.

That would be good. Would be interested to see how it goes. The priority for mine at the moment is just to get in on the road again. If its not going to cause reliability problems I may still give it a go but I value reliability over the extra ground clearance it would achieve.