To SVA or not to SVA?

LR90

Sorry to sound like and old woman, but surely we should be using SVA as a good thing? Don't we want to be driving vehicles that are safe?

I see what you're saying... but in today's risk-averse litigious world, people find it's easier just to say 'No' instead of doing the calcs. From what I've seen, VOSA etc take the better fitters from the pool and train them, but faced with something completely novel they're likely to run scared.

Take three-link, for example - the links, brackets etc need to be big enough, but who defines 'big enough'? Does a shortened chassis need diamond plates across the join? What is sufficient? In their position, would you put your name to someone else's welding on such a critical place? It's 'safer' to just say no and tell our hard-working home DIY enthusiast to go home. There are no innovative, exciting and different vehicles on the road any more, but no homebrew hillbilly deathtraps either. - after all, where there's blame, there's a claim.

Guest diesel_jim
Starting to sound more and more like Belgium, Germany etc.. :(

Chris

Yeah, and 'they' (the gov't) have very quietely brought these things in....

So, with the anti 4x4 lobby, how long before wnches are banned unless you're a tree surgeon?

what about simex's? or tyres over 32"?

Make a phrase out of the following words: Wedge, thin end of, the. :huh:

You need to SVA a vehicle for all and any modifications past standard that effect, chassis, suspension, engine, brakes, structural bodywork, steering, drivetrain, fuel type.

so going by the above information, how do I stand with my almost original 110CSW, it has vented disc brakes up front, OME springs all round & a different diesel engine & gearbox to what was fitted when built, do I need to SVA these mods ?????

confused -- yep :unsure::wacko:

but can anyone who'd already done this, ideally for a 'minor modification' let the rest of us know what's involved?

I modified my chassis (replace Range rover outriggers and rear cross member with Defender items), informed the DVLA and VOSA, It took them a number of weeks to get me in for SVA, Once the vehicle had passed SVA (first time B) ) it took about 3 weeks or so until i was issued with a Q-plate and new log book.

And what do they check, the mod you've made or is it more comprehensive? So, if you made another mod and declared it would they need to reinspect (or whatever they do) the whole vehicle or just the new mod?

What does the inspection entail anyway (sorry but I've just no idea on this and its better to learn than stay stupid)?

You need to SVA a vehicle for all and any modifications past standard that effect, chassis, suspension, engine, brakes, structural bodywork, steering, drivetrain, fuel type.

Interesting...my reading of that would be that any LPG converted vehicle should be SVA'd - although given the standard of some LPG conversions maybe that's not a bad thing :ph34r: Mine's certified, which keeps the insurers happy but doesn't actually have any legal standing.

SVA guides @ http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...ads_506874.hcsp

should help.

I'll drop the above link into the Tech Archive-----------now done SVA :i-m_so_happy:

Taken from the article linked to above

"Generally, your vehicle will need to be approved under the SVA scheme and issued with a Minister's Approval Certificate (MAC) if it is up to 10 years old from the date of manufacture and is not covered by either an EC or national type approval (British or similar national approval from another European Economic Area Member State)."

Now this is interesting, as I returned from Germany 5 years ago with 2 vehicles and set about getting them registered on UK number plates. The one was 7 years old and would have needed a SVA but because it was EU specification I was able to get a declaration from Subaru UK to say that it had the same spec as UK models. This allowed the VOSA to issue me with a certicate of conformity which together with an MOT was sufficient to get new numberplates. Now my other vehicle was 11 years old, it was a LHD van of a type that was never ever sold in the UK, and for that all i needed was an MOT.

So could it be argued that if the changes are made to a vehicle over 10 years old then SVA is not needed anyway? Just a thought

Guest diesel_jim
so going by the above information, how do I stand with my almost original 110CSW, it has vented disc brakes up front, OME springs all round & a different diesel engine & gearbox to what was fitted when built, do I need to SVA these mods ?????

confused -- yep :unsure::wacko:

You'll be OK Ralph (as will i in my 110, and anyone else with a 12 seater....)

What vehicles are within the scope of SVA ?

(a) cars or light passenger vehicles2 with:

four or more wheels and not more than 8 seats (either actual or declared)3 in addition to the driver's seat; or

three wheels and not more than 8 seats in addition to the driver's seat and a maximum gross weight of more than 1000kg; or

three wheels and a maximum gross weight of not more than 1000kg and an unladen weight of more than 410kg (i.e. not a motorcycle) and either having a design speed of more than 50kph (31mph) or an engine capacity more than 50cc.

What about the commercial vehicle SVA, as I understand it that's what Fruity (SVA'd 100") did as almost any LR will be able to be classed as a commercial. There are about half the number of checks on a commercial one and you can get away with a lot more stuff.

Agreed that once you've got the Q-plate it's unlikely to be looked at if you do further mods, reading the kit car mags most of them seem to make the car SVA ready, then drive away with the ticket and rip it all off anyway (like the plastic caps on all the external nuts and bolts :blink: )

Edit:

The vehicle definitions section is interesting.

Guest diesel_jim
What about the commercial vehicle SVA, as I understand it that's what Fruity (SVA'd 100") did as almost any LR will be able to be classed as a commercial. There are about half the number of checks on a commercial one and you can get away with a lot more stuff.

Agreed, when i had my 90 SVA'd, it was a plain hard top, and it flew through. the chap said to me, pointing to stuff on it (like SD external cage, wolf bonnet with all the shovel clips etc) "that wouldn't pass if it was a "car", but as it's a van, no problem"

That is why, if you look in the LR model brocheur, the 90 SW can't have the bling bits like rear tomb raider step, winch mount, some of the nudge bars and other bolt on goodies, whereas the 110 or 90 commercial can.

/Ali G voice/

"iz it coz i iz a car?"

Agreed that once you've got the Q-plate it's unlikely to be looked at if you do further mods, reading the kit car mags most of them seem to make the car SVA ready, then drive away with the ticket and rip it all off anyway (like the plastic caps on all the external nuts and bolts :blink: )

This is what i'm wondering anyway... once your car has been MoT'd (on it's normal non Q plate), when are you likely to be stopped and reported to the DVLA/VOSA anyway?

Unless your MoT man is particularly vindictive he's not going to report you, at worst you'll just get a fail, but surely the MoT inspectors are just interested in whether the car is roadworthy, ie brakes, lights, no rot, not whether you've got a 3 link or a D44 letterbox'd rear crossmember?

OK, if you roll up in a Td5 90 that is on an old 1966 "D" plate and tax exempt or it's registered as a rangerover, well, thats a risk you take.

Vote me in charge of the MoT's and VOSA, i'll let you all pass.... ;)

Guest diesel_jim

And commercial is cheaper too! mine was something like £36 (very rough figures, i can't remember!) and a "car" was up in the £100's

the brake test was funny....

inspector "these landrovers are full time 4wd arn't they?"

me "yes"

insp. "ahh, we can't do the rolling road brake test then"

me "yeah you can, just don't go over 5mph, i'll take the front prop off if you want?"

insp. "no, they're full time 4wd, we can't do the rolling road brake test, can we!??! ;) "

me, after finally cottoning on "ahhhhh.... no"

insp. "ok, go and rant it out on that tarmac and slam the brakes on will ya?, nice skid marks please"

brake test done! he did put one of those centrifugal inertia tester things on the passenger footwell, but it was comical that this government agency was so slapdash!

SVA guides @ http://www.dft.gov.uk/stellent/groups/dft_...ads_506874.hcsp

should help.

I'll drop the above link into the Tech Archive-----------now done SVA :i-m_so_happy:

That's a really good link Western.

Seems for many of us with older LRs its just not applicable anyway. I guess we could fall into the SVA trap (though I see they offer a Voluntary SVA) if the modifications we make result in the need to reregister the vehicle on the DVLA points scheme. Info on that can be found here. The one item of uncertaintly here is "modified chassis or altered monocoque bodyshell" but certianly given DVLA is more concerned with identity than construction I can't imaging they'd want to be bothered by an altered rear x member or roll cage mounts.

Maybe what we should be considering is do our mods conform to construction and use but that's starting to get pretty an*l.

For those that do find they need an SVA The LGV test does seem much lighter than the car one but does include a check for 'Plate for Good Vehicle'. What's that?

he did put one of those centrifugal inertia tester things on the passenger footwell,

Ah yes, the inspector had to dig his out from under a load of junk in the cupboard to do the brake test on mine :lol: He said it hadn't seen the light of day for a long time, It's the same with the MOT :lol:

Ah yes, the inspector had to dig his out from under a load of junk in the cupboard to do the brake test on mine :lol: He said it hadn't seen the light of day for a long time, It's the same with the MOT :lol:

That's a Tapley meter and should be used on all permanent 4x4's when MOT'd. A good MOTist will always have one ready...