axle stands - rating and how high for a 110 CSW

Ruurd

If you're new to this then I'd suggest:

- Get a tape measure and measure the distance under the car where you're likely to put an axle stand, and add at least 3" to that.

- Look in the manual to see how much your 110 weighs (~2ton) but since this is safety critical and the cheap/low-rated stands are usually horrid you probably want to buy something that's 3t plus if only for the nicer quality.

Most axle stands are 2 or 3 ton rated. You have to bear in mind that you will never put the entire weight of the vehicle on just one axle stand. If you want to support the entire weight of the vehicle on axle stands, then 4 x 2-ton axle stands will be plenty. Don't just jack one corner of the vehicle to max and then put a stand under it, then go to the other side to do the same as the first stand may well tilt and possibly fall over.

Les.

I jack under the diff. The short side of the axle will raise higher than the other side, but not that much. Two axle stands either end of the axle, then jack the long side up higher by putting the jack under the radius arm and raise the stand on that side to get the vehicle level.

Les.

I've got a pair of Halfords own axle stands, non of this fancy ratchet type stuff, they're simple tubes with a cross pin to lock in position, rated at 3t each, they're nice and sturdy. Personally would't get anything less than 3t SWL per leg. these are good as you can take the top tube out and use it as a wee extension bar for a shifter or such like.

I've got a pair of Halfords own axle stands, non of this fancy ratchet type stuff, they're simple tubes with a cross pin to lock in position, rated at 3t each, they're nice and sturdy. Personally would't get anything less than 3t SWL per leg. these are good as you can take the top tube out and use it as a wee extension bar for a shifter or such like.

...but not while the car is on the stand, or it might suddenly become unstable! :-)