registering new engine

del

Hi all , had a 200tdi fitted to my 90 to replace the old 2.5td , rang the dvla to register the new engine they were saying that i need a letter off the garage to confirm the change ,has anyone had a similar siuation, surley the old td and the 200tdi are the same capacitys ?

or you could just fill in the new engine number box on the V5 reg document & post it to DVLA, sometimes they want a letter on headed paper from a garage other times they just change the details & send a updated V5 back.

tell your insurance co. as well, they would like to know that a newer [thus more desirable,to thieves] is installed.

Never been asked for a garage report on any of my conversions, however, people I know doing similar conversions at the same time have, so I think its just pot luck. I've just sent a V5 off with a change from 2286 Petrol to 19J....we'll see what happens...

I completed the log book sent it to DVLA was told need a vehicle inspection after a dozen phone calls with no joy. Contacted VOSA who phoned DVLA and was told need a letter on headed paper from a garage of the engine number. Have now done this and posted now waiting to recieve log book with the engine change I went from 2.5 petrol to 2.5 diesal (300tdi)

I cant see why the would want a garage report for a similar engine transplant? , its not like im trying to get around the lez regulationns or something, surely they hare the big computer that can tell what the engine is from the id number?

I cant see why the would want a garage report for a similar engine transplant? , its not like im trying to get around the lez regulationns or something, surely they hare the big computer that can tell what the engine is from the id number?

just to notify the 'new' engine has been correctly fitted & the fit is safe to use.

• 2 weeks later...

Notifying the DVLA has nothing to do with the standard of work - it's there to prevent crime (stolen engine perhaps and other stupid information that they probably find useful). Just another step towards stopping people from modifying their own vehicles I suppose.

Les.

Yes that's what I think too, I had to jump through hoops when I did an engine swap over for the re-manufactured engine from turners as they-the DVLA wanted a copy of the receipt from turners for the engine telling them what engine number it had from them-all done and on my logbook now

When I last changed the engine I just filled in the log book and sent it off. Came back with a new V5. The DVLA ( also forms part of the police computer system) hold details of all engine, chassis and registration numbers. So if you did register a stolen engine then i'm sure they would inform the police who have the power to examine your vehicle. Anyone with guilty knowledge would never register a stolen engine so why bother with a letter from the garage.

Even at MOT they never check the engine number only the chassis.

SHOTROCK

Letter turned up from DVLA today....V5 being returned un-modified.

They want a reciept from the garage I bought the engine from.....eerrmmm yeah, right ..ok.., Inspection from AA or RAC....they do this? An inspection for insureance purposes....eeerrrrr...or 'written confirmation from the engine manufacturer showing the engine number and size'....

Failing that, if it was converted before I bought the LR, confirmation from the garage that did the conversion, or confirmation on headed paper from an inpendant garage.

So, I phoned my MoT man and said look, its been off the road four years, she's got no test or tax, and the engine doesn't match the V5, can I bring it, can you test it. He said yes, no problem, when it comes up with the petrol engine on the computer, he can tick to say no and change it to diesel and the new engine number. He'll then finish the test, issue me a pass certificate..of course.. :ph34r: and then also give me a letter on headed paper to say that the new engine is diesel and its number. I can then send this to DVLA with the logbook again, and then they'll change the V5, having fulfilled the last opttion, 'confirmation on headed paper from an independant garage.

What a PITA. I wonder if mine came back with no problem because the engine I used came out of a truck owned by me at the time of the conversion so when they checked the engine number it came up as belonging to me anyway. Possibly worth registering any scrapper you might buy to use as a engine donor before sending off the paperwork for the conversion??

I dunno, first time I've ever had one come back. My first engine swap was never registered, it turned out to be pants. Then I bought a 19J at Sodbury, so I wasnt the previous of that one, and this was a step up in power too from a 2286n/a to a 2495 Turbo..ahh change in fuel too I remember now. Then I bought a disco 200 from a yard, and that meant I wasnt previous on that either..... Round about the same time I did my 19J conversion, a friend was pulling a 2286 diesel and fitting a 2.5n/a, and they got a demand from DVLA for garage evidence, and yet I didn't for an engine of a different fuel type, and higher power....

Random!

Hi all here's a good one bought a recon engine about 3yrs ago (bit of a slow project) cant find the reciept anywhere ! searched high and low .The company i bought it from has now ceased trading (great) all above board ,but i'm now ready to fit this unit Anyone any suggestions , engine is simply stamped Recon unit thats it ? any help would be gratefully recieved