So, back to the old problem

Changed my clutch, we have gears again.

Now it feels like it did before, lacking power, if I got my foot down flat, It feels like im pulling a heavy weight. Now the old clutch did wear out quite quickly, but could it still slip even though it's all new?

Or would I get the same symptoms with a slightly blown head gasket, as I think this could be it?

Is the intercooler/pipework/manifold gasket all leak free? and the is the airfilter ok?

Is the fuel filter good? and the lift pump?

Is the boost diaphragm ok and the boost pipe to it ? and does the plunger on the pump side of the dia. move ok ? I'm assuming Tdi

hth

Steveb

Hey all, sorry for not getting back sooner, we had a snow storm here which too out our internet since last night.

Today fitted a new thermostat, (as it has been overheating slightly, not it's better, but it still is slightly over, but not as much as before) and then adjusted the clutch to get the correct distance from the floor right, I can remember when fitting the clutch slave cylinder that it was pretty tough to put onto the pushrod, it felt like it was pushing the clutch a little. But then the clutch pedal was sitting at about 120mm off the floor as opposed from the 140mm it should be. But maybe the slave cylinder is not the right one for a R380 gearbox, it feels fine now)

It's a 2.8 TGV, I am pretty sure that the fuel filter is ok, it is new, and new oil filter, will check all the pipe work tomorrow, I am pretty sure this is good though, think the lift pump is good, but not sure how to test it.

• Is the boost diaphragm ok and the boost pipe to it ? and does the plunger on the pump side of the dia. move ok ? I'm assuming Tdi

Not sure, not sure how to test this either.

The tickover is good, if I rev it at tickover then the revs go high. Pretty sure the clutch is not slipping though. It just feels down on power, another symptom is the oil pressure, at idle is sits as about 20psi, at 4th gear, foot flat on the floor, managing to pull at 50mph, it's about 50psi ish.

To check the boost Dia. , remove the turbo pressure pipe- small banjo fitting- from the top of the BD housing on the IP, then remove the 4 slothead screws holding the top of the BD housing . Under it you will see a rubber diaphragm attached to a plunger , check this for holes and make sure the plunger is free to move down under finger pressure . Also check the rubber boot that protects the vent to atmosphere in the housing under the BD .

The boost pipe should be checked too at the turbo end where its fitted with a rubber sleeve and spring clips

A final thought - has the throttle cable outer plastic ferrule wound itself back up the cable so you aren't getting full throttle ?

hth

Steveb

Yeah, I thought about the throttle first as it seamed like one of the first things to check.

Will check this lot on Thursday when it's at a garage getting a compression test done.

On a note, hole many tabs are there on a head gasket for a 2.8tgv, when I called paddocks they asked that and I was not sure, I know you can count them, but I am not sure what they mean by tabs? I am assuming that it has three tabs, as it has three bolts to the right of the rocker cover, and three notches, is this right?

Oh, transfer oil is fine, it was replaced when I did the new clutch.

Have a look at where the head meets the block on the same side as your fuel lift pump, you will see a small piece of the head gasket appearing from near enough right above the lift pump-where the head meets the block-in what looks like a recess and you'll see how many holes you have to be able to replace the head gasket for your engine-you'll have a single hole or 2 or 3 which denotes the thickness of the gasket

Look here: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=12640&hl=%2Bhead+%2Bgasket&fromsearch=1

Odds are it's the lift pump. My TGV got gradually slower and slower, eventually struggled to keep 50mph.

300tdi pump fits with a bit of fettling, but mine still seemed a little down on power.

I fitted and electric pump, and kept the lift pump fitted for emergencies.

Do Paddocks sell TGV head gaskets, or are you trying to fit a 300tdi part instead?

Yeah, paddocks sell them, apparently a 300 tdi one will fit???

But it does feel like it's getting slower and slower, so far on this new engine, after about 7000 miles, the power steering pump has gone, the water pump has gone, and the thermostat...

I will order a lift pump too, but maybe an electric one might be better just before the fuel filter, which one did you fit?

The red top looks way easier than a lift pump to install, and that filter regulator looks nice too. My filter regulator has a little pump on the top of it so I can pull the fuel through, so I guess I should use a little hand pump instead. What to do with the mechanical lift pump then, or which one to fit if I am gonna replace it anyway?

You can test fuel delivery by removing the fuel pipe from the fuel lift pump into the injector pump at the injector pump end and getting a friend to crank the engine for about 2 seconds. In that time there should be fuel everywhere, spurting from the pipe like a severed artery in a horror movie - have the end in a jam jar or similar! If there is not much fuel then there is either a blockage or the lift pump has failed.

Chris

Yep, I replaced the clutch slave, I can remember it being tough to get back on, it felt it was engaging the clutch a little. Just drived through a field of snow ( my drive until I get the tractor to clear it ), did not feel like it slipped. checked it too by holding the foot on the brake, acrelator, then letting the clutch out (it stalled, the brake work then)

The fuel tank has a 300 tdi pick up thing, don't know if this is a pre-filter, gonna check the fuel pressure at the garage if I can, or the above.

Ok, so got the garage, he thought I was mad, but agreed it was down on power, turns out the temp sender was out, so making it look too hot.

We all thought it was not getting enough fuel, so we tweaked the fuel input on the fuel injection pump, and now it feels allot better, I got it up to 65mph...

( dare not go any faster on a slushy / frozen / ice road ).

Then the heater, turns out the heated box flap was not full switching over to let the hot air in, the cable was a little bent so it looked open, but not.