thread lock on crank bolt?

Bluemoon

I lost a good engine due to someone possibly putting thread lock or the wrong strength of thread lock (I am lead to bilieve there are 2 strengths) on the crank pully bolt, it would not be undone. Every trick, even the dodgy/risky ones were tried. To cut a long story short the engine got taken out and swapped again after only being in the truck for about 3 months due to me not being able to change the belt. It sounded really nice and pulled really well, I was gutted, not to mention the cost of a second engine and fitting. So draw from my experience what you will. HTH.

I always locktite the key into the crank and then locktite the key into the pulley.

Then just put a spot on the bolt.

You will need a puller to get the pulley off in 40k, but they don't come loose.

I've managed to ressurect worn cranks this way using new keys and pulleys

I lost a good engine due to someone possibly putting thread lock or the wrong strength of thread lock (I am lead to bilieve there are 2 strengths) on the crank pully bolt, it would not be undone. Every trick, even the dodgy/risky ones were tried. To cut a long story short the engine got taken out and swapped again after only being in the truck for about 3 months due to me not being able to change the belt. It sounded really nice and pulled really well, I was gutted, not to mention the cost of a second engine and fitting. So draw from my experience what you will. HTH.

WHAT!!!!!

I have a tool that bolts into the 4 m8 tapped holes in the crank pulley for holding it still whilst using a breaker bar/scaffold tube to crack off stubborn crank bolts.

One of these to hold the pulley still http://www.difflock.com/buyersguide/newproducts/timing-kit/anti-rotation-tool.shtml

And one of these to pull it off, http://www.mm-4x4.com/crank-damper-puller-300-tdi---part-no-lrt12049-3415-p.asp

I always use Loctite (other thread locks are available considerably cheaper) on crank bolts. The problems happen when people put too much on. It only requires a couple of drops, I've seen bolts that've been covered in it.

The bond is broken above a certain temprature (can't remember the figure but it's very hot),so you need to get bolts that have had an overdose of thread lock, smoking hot to undo them.

Thread lock will not stop a tdi crank bolt from coming loose if it's not been torqued up properly.

There's more than 2 strengths, depending on environment and requirements

Never loctited one on, never had one come loose....the 340Nm is bad enough as it is, never mind loctite as well!

Agreed, I've never found any need to Loctite any bolts if a torque setting has been given for a particular bolt, UNLESS the threads are worn in which case Loctite is often required.

On my previous 200 tdi I ruined a perfectly good crankshaft damper pulley and woodruff key as I'd not put threadlock onto the crankshaft damper pulley before I refitted it onto the engine, I also got told a while ago to use threadlock on the bolt too,both of which I now do I've never had any problems getting either of these back off again as i made my own pulley puller and use the engine to remove the crankshaft bolt by removing the stop solenoid lead,attaching a 30mm socket and T bar along with a piece of 30x30mm tubing onto the chassis rail and flicking so to speak the ignition key so that it breaks the seal on the threadlock and will unscrew the bolt,

hth