replacing airbag with a grab handle

mudmagnet

hi i have a 300tdi that i only use as an offroader and i would like to remove the airbag and replace with a grab handle from a non airbag disco,

without going into the tech stuff of how to remove the airbag which i have already researched on here,

is this a straight swap or is the dash completely different,

thanks, any help welcomed

i think the dash is different. that would be the simplest way, replace the whole lump, would also make removing all the airbag wiring easier too, as it'll be simple to get it through the bulkhead.

take it out in one piece rather than cutting it, then maybe flog it on ebay to recoup some of the costs of sourcing a non airbag dash. remember that the airbag ecu is under the centre console storage box too, and the crash sensors on the front panel below the battery. you'll also need a non airbag steering wheel too.

mm, how did you get your passenger airbag out? The ever helpful Haynes manual says use a "special socket" and from what I can see the four fixings are not hex headed screws but look like "star" type fixings.

With regard to the grab handle fitment from what I can see on our other Disco it looks like you need the handle and another bit of plastic, then you fit the black rubber dash mat thingy in place.

Be interested to know how you get on as I'm doing the same but mine needs to look tidy as it will be a daily driver.

Cheers, H.

Edit: See this thread - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=31025&hl=airbag&fromsearch=1 it seems the dash's are different, thats scuppered my plans! I'd still like to know what the fixings are though 'cause the airbag has got to come out what ever happens.

The dash is completely different. It will look horrible - there is no trim under where the bag is at all, so it will look like a complete lash up. Fine if you don't mind that...

On the plus side, if you do find a new non airbag dash, they are dead easy to fit. I changed mine when it curled up, and it took about 4 hours. Allow a day and you'll be fine.

Hi,

Bear in mind for a road going car the MOT is changing, so any light on the dash will fail. If you remove one airbag this will show as a fault and put the light on. You can get round this by fitting a resistance across the plug (don't know size ) which you can probably get from a boy racer site.

Tim

Or removing the bulb from the dash !!

So u wish the OP to fail the MOT then ?

Now, If the testers data on the vehicle being tested states the vehicle is fitted with SRS then he will wish to see the initial test sequence ie. SRS lamp on-off and on again. If not it's a fail. Also the same if an air bag is fitted as an original equipment is missing.

Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS) 5.4

Hi I have just taken my grab rail off and fitted the Airbag to my 1996 disco. I can tell you now that you will have a big hole in the dash and also you will need the mounting bracket which fits behind the glove box.

When I got rid of my grab handle I had to butcher my dash to fit the airbag bracket, then mount my airbag to that. So taking this into account you would need the whole dash :)

If you use it as an off roader, why not replace the dash with a custom made carbon fiber or aluminum dash? That way you can easily modify it for com radios, GPS, maplights, switchpanels, gauges or track timers that might come in handy (depending on the use of the car). If you use it as a proper offroader you should fit a cage wich would f-up the dash anyway.

Just my 2c, Johan :D

No such problem here in Oz. I removed mine and with fibre-glass filled in the remaining hole and easily fitted a handle off a non-airbag unit, Julie now has a panic grab. I removed the steering wheel unit as well and saved around 8 kilos in total weight and around 20 meters of cable. The controller is in the centre console unit below the storage bin. The special spanner is a simple security socket obtainable from any auto or electronics store.