Selling my Series One

So this thread is not a 'what's it worth' conversation, just more of a how do I maximise my return.

So I have come to the difficult decision that I am going to sell my 1952 Series One, looking at the last few years of usage I just don't use it I am more into overland these days and the S1 is not that family friendly in the limited time I get off I want to spend it with them these days. The other issue is since getting a company car it makes it four plus the overland trailer, box trailer and our boat the drive/garden is pretty full!!

Therefore on to my Series One, it's in fairly original condition, but was never intended to be concourse and I did make some compromises when undertaking the rebuild. So what do I do, currently it does not have an MOT or a Canvas, also I have trafficators and d-lamps but they are not fitted as yet.

How far do I go to sort it out before I put it up for sale?

For the MOT I think it will need new tyres but do I fit original/historic type or just the cheapest I can to pass the MOT?

Do I buy a new Tilt or sell it without?

Should I fit the trafficators D-Lamps etc or leave it for the new owner.

I have a load of spares for it including the original Cylinder Head, should I sell these with these or on their own? is it worth more with a load of spares?

What's the best way of selling it ebay/series one forum

What is the best time of year to sell it?

Thoughts please, Cheers, Jason.

post-15513-0-36346400-1326236256_thumb.jpg

Jason,

All year round these things sell, they are sort after. WIthout an MOT you won't see a massive return so my opinion would be to buy a cheapo set of 205s, put it on those, MOT it and then sell via the LRSOC. EBay after if no interest. A spares package is always good and will give a good impression of you the owner, which in turn will help a sale.

PM if you need a hand.

Dave.

The following are just my opinions, as if I was looking at it with a thought to buying. I think that generally though, adding bits on the deal would help it to sell but not necessarily recoup their cost.

For the MOT I think it will need new tyres but do I fit original/historic type or just the cheapest I can to pass the MOT?
Cheapest poss. Having the MoT is important, but you cannot predict the usage of whoever buys it. Personally I would put a reasonably modern set on, but many people would want originality
Do I buy a new Tilt or sell it without?
Having a new tilt will make it easier to sell, but I don't think you would recoup the cost. I would probably only buy one with a reasonable tilt though...
Should I fit the trafficators D-Lamps etc or leave it for the new owner.
I would want the option of fitting them myself.
I have a load of spares for it including the original Cylinder Head, should I sell these with these or on their own? is it worth more with a load of spares?
I would imagine that selling the spares individually would get more money. Having the spares lumped in with the car would probably not swing the deal one way or the other for me.

What about selling on here:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/

Free and works!

To sell - think about what a purchaser is going to want. If there's work to do it'll appeal to some - who either want to do the work and make a profit - or someone who wants a project - which may well mean it goes into his garage and stays there of years slowly being dismantled. (To be fair some do get finished.) Are these purchasers going to pay the best price?

Many purchasers would prefer something they can use straight away - even if they need to get odd bits sorted. _ So it must have an MOT and be a decent drive.

Tyres - there are some 600 x 16 crossply off road tyres available at reasonable prices - google may be your friend.

Thanks Guys, I have not been tracking Series Ones for a while so wasn't sure how the market was these days. So it's pretty definite that I need to get an MOT on it, Should I bother to get it taxed/taken off SORN?

Is there a price guide anywhere? as I suppose I need to also figure out a sale price?

Jason.

Hi Mick,

The post was really not intended as an advert, I looking for conformation of what I thought and answering some things that I didn't know. funny thing though another forum member has already contacted me expressing an interest, I guess that series One's are still popular.

I Will still probably put an MOT on the old girl but will work with who ever is the buyer to sort the tyres and Tilt out to their spec, if the first chap is not interested I can stick you in the "queue".

Which brings me back to one of the original questions, how do I figure out what it is worth? I know LRO have a price guide but it is about as vague as a vague thing!! If it goes on eBay I guess it reaches 'market value' but although it sounds daft I would prefer to sell it to someone on here that will look after her!!

Jason.

• 1 month later...

finally getting somewhere this week the last few weeks have been manic... picked up a new Exmoor trim canvas from eBay for 1/2 the price of a new one :D I got some tyres just need them fitting now which will happen when it goes for it's MOT was due to happen this week only problem is I have gained a 110 this week which is blocking everything in, so I need to see if I can shift things around. The only thing I need now is a new battery, does anyone know what size of battery I need for a 2L petrol S1, CCA etc? looked around but no sites list a 1952 S1.

Jason.

Rover used the same battery size for 80in , s1, 2 and 3 petrol through Range Rover Classic . .

Its 069 or 072 - I think they're the same size. GSF (German Swedish and French) may do a good deal - I think they're listed on e-bay.

This battery is considered to be of an old fashioned configuration and its terminals are the other way round to more modern ones. I tried to fit a different one to a RR Classic and the leads were too tight to fit and there was too much 'superstructure' to get the things on.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting excited now, it has gone off to the garage this morning for a good service tyre change and an MOT, with her new battery on she now starts first time again :i-m_so_happy: I drove it onto the trailer and when past the petrol station to stick some new fuel into it, which seemed to make a difference to the way she runs when I drove it off the trailer.

With all the attention I have given it over the past few weeks I am not now sure if I want to sell it!! :blush: I may keep her for the summer and then put her up for sale, but lets see what happens when she comes back from its MOT.

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

Jason,

Dont do it!!!!!

Marc.

PS

Please thank Dennis for the card.

My heart says no Marc, but my head and Mrs S says yes, I may keep it for the summer and then let it go after that. Mrs S would like a garden that is not dominated by Land Rovers!!

I will see Dennis tomorrow so will pass on your thanks, I get to fit his dog guard tomorrow as my reward!!

Jason.