Resurrection of my derelict 2a - where to start, or should I bother ..

tugboat

I've owned my 2a 109 diesel as second owner since it was about 5 years old (mid 70s). It had quite a hard life in daily use (250k miles or so from 1970 till about 1988) and then it was used intemittently, unlicensed, on the nearby farm of my close relatives and has remained there ever since. The end came some years later with what sounded like a run big end. After a long spell of lay up, I got round to investigating and found broken rings and a cracked piston had gouged a deep groove in a cylinder. Since then (late 90s?) it's been lying outdoors in a pile of farm junk and is now a ruin with no engine, rotten chassis and bulkhead, and the hard top was given away. The body panels are remarkably free of dings though. The (crash) gearbox, a Rover replacement before I bought it, has since had another rebuild by me after a broken layshaft, and the rear diff and half shafts were also new in the previous ownership (as I said, it had a hard life!). Frankly, given its high mileage and the abuse inflicted on it, I'd long since written off any thoughts of doing anything with it after the engine blew. But now ...

Now, though, I'm taking early retirement, and I'm maybe up for a challenge. If I take it on, it will be all 1970 2a, i.e., with original gearbox, axles and bulkhead, etc., but possibly with a 5 bearing 2.25 diesel.

I've dug out the last v5, a duplicate from the mid 80s, in my name and with my current address, as well as the one issued when I bought it in the mid 70s. I phone dvla last week and explained that I was either going to restore it or scrap it, and asked for its current status. I was told that its record is incomplete and that I should either simply send a v62 and £25 for a new v5, mot and tax it and that's it, or send a letter saying it's scrapped.

So I need a new chassis, bulkhead rebuild, and an engine (btw, its never had an engine number recorded on its v5, possibly because it was first registered as Goods) as well as a complete overhaul of the rest by myself .... £5k-ish?

Having searched around this forum and others, I'm sure I can make this administratively very difficult if I want to but, otherwise, is it really as simple as that?

You should totally bother!

Play nice with the DVLA and it's easy: £25 to get a new V5 - it'll be issued already on a SORN. Then just insure, MOT and finally tax.

They might ask for a VIC (Vehicle Identity Check), but it's unlikely. There's no reason for them to assume that something's amiss (especially if they're re-issuing the V5 to yourself - the last known keeper). And even if they did, there's nothing dodgy about it.

Do it! You'll regret it if you don't.

If you're going the galv chassis route you have pick of engines - anything LR 4-pot should more or less bolt in, plenty of others without too much effort. I'd budget a bit extra as no rebuild ever comes in under-budget. Is it financially sensible? - of course not. Is it worth doing for the experience & the satisfaction of rescuing a vehicle with a connection to you? Abso-friggin-lutely.

....... Is it financially sensible? - of course not.......

Of course it is! This is going to be a retirement project, not a profit making exercise ..... £5K is a small price to pay to keep you out of trouble and out from under the feet of SWMBO ;) and at the end of it you will have a lovely 2a with lots of memories attached. Also I'm fairly certain it wouldn't take much effort to waste far more than £5k on holidays etc in the time taken to restore your 2a and I know which will last longer :)

Jealous? yep!

Go for it! I think a new standard galv chassis for a 109 is currently around £2k, which doesn't leave much of the £5k left, maybe say 6 to be safe. If you want to restore her fully to original spec, I'd advise joing either/both the Severn Vallyer Leafers - deddicated leaf sprung Land Rover club, which I highly recommend, or The Series 2 club. Both I believe will get you a discount at Richards aswell - look after the pennies....

When you get stuck, you will find the answers and help you need right here too!

Ok! Ok! Advice taken! Except I've gone a step further after I came across a 5 bearing diesel non-runner. It's been laid up three years just a couple of miles from here with a S3 109sw attached. I bought it yesterday so now I have two...

I've managed to repair the starter and fired it up this afternoon. Clean looking engine, sounds good, steady idle and started on first punch after not having turned over all of last year. The chassis has been welded in the usual places but it's been very neatly done and looks good. Bulkhead looks fine too. Body straight but internals could use a bit of tidying. I'm having it transported over to the farm tomorrow.

Dilemma - bought the sw for the engine and spares for my old 2a but it's probably much too good to break. I'll get in about it in the coming weeks and see what it needs to tidy it up for mot and take it from there. I've a feeling it may good for a few more years on its present.

I'm guessing the general view is going to be that I need to get them both going now!

• 2 weeks later...

Always room for another S2 109 on the road :D

I budgeted £5k for my rebuild (£1200 of that was the base vehicle) I had a new galv chassis (£1300 + VAT) and a 200TDi engine (£300 for a dead Disco with good engine). + labour and new bits it got to about £6k.

If it's a retirement project your labour costs will be nil so under £5k should get you a very nice job done.

+1 of a build thread if/when you make a start :)

hell i have 2 under (not really) progress at the moment. and im driving another. i plan to do up the series 3 that i was driving till i rebuilt my proper series 3, to a nice tidy origional spec but to a fairly small budget, and then the series 2 will be no detail spared.

but ive still got to respray the front end of the one im driving...

and fettle this.. and that... and uni work.. and the farm... :o