OT Waeco fridge part source needed

Mo Murphy

Afternoon all,

I've just bought a Waeco fridge from a fellow forum member to keep my beer and cheese fresh on our next trip.

The 12v socket works fine but one of the pins is loose and pushed in so I'd like to replace the socket.

I've found a Waeco part number for it (power Socket DC 33-01-MBC02) and have mailed a parts supplier for a price.

While I wait for a reply it occours to me that this may well be an off the shelf part used by many manufacturers. An internet search for 12v sockets reveals, predictably, car type sockets.

Do any of you learned electrical chaps know where I can find a socket as in the photo below ?

Cheers

Mo

IMAG0314.jpg

I think you are going to struggle to find one of these, unless it's from waeco. The pin getting hot could equally be the fault of the lead as well as the socket, so you will have to replace both to be sure it will not happen again.

It might be worth taking the fridge apart & fitting an alternative connector. If you do that, something like this *may* fit in the existing hole...but I don't know how much current the fridge takes...

No crimping needed either!

Thanks for all answers chaps, much appreciated. SORNagain makes a good point about the lead too, I hadn't considered that so I suppose I'll need a matching plug too.

I've taken a couple more pics as requested, hopefully they'll help with identification.

A quick measure up shows the external dims of the socket to be 15mm x 22mm, perhaps thats of some use :)

Cheers

Mo

IMAG0316.jpg

IMAG0317.jpg

Looks worryingly like a connector often used for mains on older equipment, probably the one James pointed to.

If it were mine, I'd be changing it to something not used for mains, out of principle, and also with something easily obtainable.

How much current does the fridge pull?

Kev

Thanks for all answers chaps, much appreciated. SORNagain makes a good point about the lead too, I hadn't considered that so I suppose I'll need a matching plug too.

I'll second the comment about replacing both, a poor connection that gets hot is a good way to start a fire. Not something you want.... especially on an item that gets plugged in and left for long periods.

I believe the waeco is a compressor unit, so similar current draw to the Engel - which is around 1A on 12V. The socket shown is also similar to the Engel one, but not the same. It does look to be up to dealling with 1A though...

It might be worth talking to Simon at MPS4x4 as they import the Waeco range, and stock a number of accessories.

If not he also has contacts with thier repair centre who may well have the socket you require.

Both Simon and the repair centre are very helpful.

hth

Mark

I would replace with a standard three pin mains lead and plug just dont use the earth. You will find the price from Waeco-Dometic as much if not more than MPS

http://www.maplin.co...sis-socket-1361

http://www.maplin.co...ains-plug-45364

Not a good idea to do it that way around as you could potentially have the lead disconnected from the fridge but still connected to power, I know it's just 12v but still not a good idea to short it which could happen easily as it's only partly shrouded.

I assume the reason for doing it that way around was so nobody could plug 240v mains in, the same could be achieved by using it the right way around (as for normal mains leads) and just using what would have been neutral and earth wires to supply the 12v. Or maybe a different set of connectors completely? Just my 2P worth

Not a good idea to do it that way around as you could potentially have the lead disconnected from the fridge but still connected to power, I know it's just 12v but still not a good idea to short it which could happen easily as it's only partly shrouded.

I assume the reason for doing it that way around was so nobody could plug 240v mains in, the same could be achieved by using it the right way around (as for normal mains leads) and just using what would have been neutral and earth wires to supply the 12v. Or maybe a different set of connectors completely? Just my 2P worth

Well im sure you would put a fuse in line incase

Right, an update :)

MPS weren't able to help although the chap did his best to help and put me on to Leisure Spares who are the parts distributors for waeco in the UK.

I now have a new socket on the way to me for the princely sum of £2.34, along with a new power lead thanks to the lovely Louise at the other end of the phone. It took a little while because Waeco changed the part number and didn't bother to tell anyone else ! :)

Mo