Crank shaft bolt

Frax

Hi Frax,

I presume this is on a 300tdi engine? The easiest option is to put it in a high gear with the handbrake on, however this will only work up to a limit until the clutch slips. The other option is to remove the starter motor and lock the flywheel, some people just wedge a socket or something between the ring gear and the engine housing, but I preferred to quickly knocked up a tool which bolts on where the stater motor fits. I'll try to dig out a photo.

James

I got my dad to make me one about 10 years ago. A bit like the one in the pic above, but in 2 pieces. A section of drilled tube of appropriate diameter and a big piece of bar that bolts into the holes in the crank pulley. I can take some measurements and pictures if you like tomorrow Frax.

Thanks for all the help, just about what I was doing, high gear - brake on and chocked the front wheels. Any sizes of the tool would help as I could knock one up, the amount of time I have spent in the engine bay in the last month is unbelievable and may be at it again in the morning if my new crank shaft seal turns up. Hope after that I will be clear for a good while but the tool would still be handy. When ye need one ye need one.

Hi mate with ref to your other post about the leaking oil seal (crank) did you change the "o"ring behind the crank gear ? A simple tool to lock the crank drill a 5mm hole in a 14mm bolt screw bolt into bellhousing insert drill bit shank first then away you go

The difflock tool pictured above works fine and will allow you to undo the bolt and torque it back up correctly although as said it isn't cheap although they normally do some form of discounts at shows.

The only thing I have found with it was that on a 200tdi with the extra pulley for aircon it needed to be spaced out slightly or it pressed on the rim of the pulley.

For a 300tdi it fits and works fine, the demonstrator they take to shows is a 300tdi front panel and pulley.

I have used the big spanner and flick the starter technique in the past on series engines, it works but can be quite scarey!.

Yep the easy option is to use one of these (From Difflock)

post-15547-0-39273200-1328561992_thumb.jpg

Also not a cheap option though there are others just hard to find.

or make one to suit your engine.

A mate and I knocked this up a few years ago.

cranktoolimg0283.jpg

You can also use the flywheel locking pin, although I wouldnt trust it I know of a few workshops that do just that, one dealer here even used a ground down cold chisel.

Thanks for all the replies - still waiting on the seal to arrive, The tool is a bit more complicated than I thought and don't think I will be buying one at the price as I hope not to be using it that often.

I did use a lathe on mine but that step isn't needed if you can get some pipe, have a look at the picture I added to my previous post. I reckon if you could find some thick walled pipe you could use that instead of drilling bar like I did.

Bolt the 4 pipes up to the pulley and then tack the webbing in place, make sure the socket still fits in the middle! Then weld it up and attach it to the flat bar.... then bore a hole down the centre for the socket to fit through with a hole saw or chain drilling.

It isn't pretty ... but it is cheap :)

EDIT: If you can't find pipe you could always get some bar and drill it carefully on a pillar drill.