Strong bonnet stay for 200tdi

Does anyone know where I can get a cheap bonnet stay for a 200tdi, or how easy it is to make one up? I looked at paddocks/craddocks/lrseries etc and they want about £56 for the one on my current 90.

I was after another strong mod style one - think the part number is: ALR6225

Anyway, other than hunting through breakers does anyone know how difficult it would be to knock one up or what a suitable alternative is?

As a side note, If i were to do a full chequer plate on the bonnet would gas struts be able to cope with the weight or are they just going to cause issue? They seem like a nice idea but not sure if they will be more trouble than they are worth.

I have a single gas strut and that handles fully chequer plate and cargo net easily and just about handles adding 3 tree strops in to the cargo net.

Plus you could use 2 gas struts (one each side) for extra lifting power.

Or

I picked up a ALR6225 for about £9 from Bearmach (see linky)

Where are you PieEater? If you're anywhere near Sussex way I have one of those struts you're welcome to for a token sum.

They are the strongest form available, which is ideal if you have weight on the bonnet. I have them on both my Defenders but the 110 will get the later Td5 style when it goes back together. I find those easier to use, even if they're not as strong.

Retroanaconda, sounds awesome if you have all the fixings to go with it?

I'm Surrey (Dorking//Guildford) and Hampshire(Hayling Island/Portsmouth). Car is in Hayling Island, I work at Guildford and live in Dorking. So confused is my life...

I can take the A24 - A27 back to Hayling with very little difference in mileage, only more time in 90 which I can't really complain about :P

Where abouts in West Sussex are you, I pass through Horsham, Arundel and Chichester if I head back A24 route.

Retroanaconda, sounds awesome if you have all the fixings to go with it?

I'm Surrey (Dorking//Guildford) and Hampshire(Hayling Island/Portsmouth). Car is in Hayling Island, I work at Guildford and live in Dorking. So confused is my life...

I can take the A24 - A27 back to Hayling with very little difference in mileage, only more time in 90 which I can't really complain about :P

Where abouts in West Sussex are you, I pass through Horsham, Arundel and Chichester if I head back A24 route.

I'm a bit further East than the A24, other side of Crawley. There aren't really any fixings other than a washer and a split pin where it goes through the tab on the bonnet. You'd want to make sure that tab was there of course.

I'm a bit further East than the A24, other side of Crawley. There aren't really any fixings other than a washer and a split pin where it goes through the tab on the bonnet. You'd want to make sure that tab was there of course.

Ok phone version of the site isn't clear, whoops. Anyway, Crawely is fine, slight detour is all.

Well glad to see she is getting back to working condition ;)

Do you think the gas struts make it more awkward to steal the bonnet? As standard they are removable with no tools, does the strut keep it captive? or is that also easily pulled off? I suppose it depends on the strut you find.....

Just go to your local scrappy and pick a reasonably strong one :)

Pah, most car bonnet stays are made from spaghetti metal!

What's wrong with the original LR one made from 2 bits of flat bar that hinge in the middle? They cope with bonnets that carry spare wheels surprisingly well.